Assessment of Institutional Quality in Resource-Rich Caspian Basin Countries
Natural resource dependence is believed to have potential impact on institutional development, and there is growing consensus in the academic literature that institutional weakness is central to the explanation of the negative effects of resource booms. Generally, the quality of institutional framework and natural resource dependence interact mutually. Natural resources rents can damage institutions by removing incentives to conduct reforms and even to establish a well-functioning bureaucracy. Also, weak institutional quality is the ultimate cause for a disadvantageous management framework of natural resources and process of converting revenue flows into economic development. This paper examines the connection between institutional quality and resource dependence in resource-rich Caspian Basin countries (Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Russia, Turkmenistan) with transition economies. The analysis for the total natural resources rents suggests that, in aggregate, revenues on total natural resources have a negative impact on government effectiveness.
|Date of creation:||05 Jun 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Halvor Mehlum & Karl Moene & Ragnar Torvik, 2006.
"Institutions and the Resource Curse,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 116(508), pages 1-20, 01.
- Halvor Mehlum & Karl Moene & Ragnar Torvik, 2002. "Institutions and the resource curse," Development and Comp Systems 0210003, EconWPA.
- Halvor Mehlum & Karl Moene & Ragnar Torvik, 2002. "Institutions and the resource curse," GE, Growth, Math methods 0210004, EconWPA.
- Mehlum, Halvor & Moene, Karl-Ove & Torvik, Ragnar, 2003. "Institutions and the resource curse," Memorandum 29/2002, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Halvor Mehlum & Karl Moene & Ragnar Torvik, 2004. "Institutions and the Resource Curse," DEGIT Conference Papers c009_012, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- Halvor Mehlum & Karl Ove Moene & Ragnar Torvik, 2005.
"Cursed by resources or institutions?,"
Working Paper Series
5705, Department of Economics, Norwegian University of Science and Technology.
- José Antonio Alonso & Carlos Garcimartín, 2013.
"The Determinants Of Institutional Quality. More On The Debate,"
Journal of International Development,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(2), pages 206-226, 03.
- José Antonio Alonso & Carlos Garcimartín, 2009. "The Determinants of Institutional Quality. More on the Debate," Working Papers del Instituto Complutense de Estudios Internacionales 03-09, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Instituto Complutense de Estudios Internacionales.
- José Antonio Alonso & Carlos Garcimartín, . "The Determinants of Institutional Quality. More on the Debate," Discussion Papers 09/04, University of Nottingham, CREDIT.
- repec:cto:journl:v:24:y:2004:i:3:p: is not listed on IDEAS
- Reda Cherif & Fuad Hasanov, 2012.
"Oil Exporters' Dilemma: How Much to Save and How Much to Invest,"
IMF Working Papers
12/4, International Monetary Fund.
- Cherif, Reda & Hasanov, Fuad, 2013. "Oil Exporters’ Dilemma: How Much to Save and How Much to Invest," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 52(C), pages 120-131.
- Kazim Kazimov & Kirk Hamilton & Rabah Arezki, 2011.
"Resource Windfalls, Macroeconomic Stability and Growth: The Role of Political Institutions,"
IMF Working Papers
11/142, International Monetary Fund.
- Rabah Arezki & Kirk Hamilton & Kazim Kazimov, 2011. "Resource Windfalls, Macroeconmic Stability and Growth: The Role of Political Institutions," CESifo Working Paper Series 3678, CESifo Group Munich.
- Ruta Aidis & Saul Estrin, 2006.
"Institutions, Networks and Entrepreneurship Development in Russia: An Exploration,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
wp833, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Aidis, Ruta & Estrin, Saul, 2006. "Institutions, Networks and Entrepreneurship Development in Russia: An Exploration," IZA Discussion Papers 2161, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Christa N. Brunnschweiler & Erwin H. Bulte, 2009.
"Natural resources and violent conflict: resource abundance, dependence, and the onset of civil wars,"
Oxford Economic Papers,
Oxford University Press, vol. 61(4), pages 651-674, October.
- Christa N. Brunnschweiler & Erwin Bulte, 2008. "Natural Resources and Violent Conflict: Resource Abundance, Dependence and the Onset of Civil Wars," CER-ETH Economics working paper series 08/78, CER-ETH - Center of Economic Research (CER-ETH) at ETH Zurich.
- Christa N Brunnschweiler & Erwin H Bulte, 2009. "Natural Resources and Violent Conflict: Resource abundance, dependence and the onset of civil wars," OxCarre Working Papers 018, Oxford Centre for the Analysis of Resource Rich Economies, University of Oxford.
- James D. Gwartney & Randall G. Holcombe & Robert A. Lawson, 2004. "Economic Freedom, Institutional Quality,and Cross-Country Differences in Income and Growth," Cato Journal, Cato Journal, Cato Institute, vol. 24(3), pages 205-233, Fall.
- Zhuang, Juzhong & de Dios, Emmanuel & Lagman-Martin, Anneli, 2010. "Governance and Institutional Quality and the Links with Economic Growth and Income Inequality: With Special Reference to Developing Asia," ADB Economics Working Paper Series 193, Asian Development Bank.
- Qian, Rong, 2012. "Why do some countries default more often than others ? the role of institutions," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5993, The World Bank.
- De Rosa, Donato & Iootty, Mariana, 2012. "Are natural resources cursed ? an investigation of the dynamic effects of resource dependence on institutional quality," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6151, The World Bank.
- Paul Collier & Anke Hoeffler, 2007. "Unintended Consequences: Does Aid Promote Arms Races?," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 69(1), pages 1-27, 02.
- Globerman, Steven & Shapiro, Daniel, 2002. "Global Foreign Direct Investment Flows: The Role of Governance Infrastructure," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(11), pages 1899-1919, November.
- Polterovich, Victor & Popov, Vladimir & Tonis, Alexander, 2008. "Mechanisms of Resource Curse, Economic Policy and Growth," MPRA Paper 20570, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Rudiger Ahrend & William Tompson, 2006. "Realising the Oil Supply Potential of the CIS: The Impact of Institutions and Policies," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 484, OECD Publishing.
- Mohsen Mehrara, Mohsen & Alhosseini, Seyedmohammadsadegh & Bahramirad, Duman, 2008. "Resource curse and institutional quality in oil countries," MPRA Paper 16456, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Mar 2009.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:47430. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.