Impact of the foreign exchange rates fluctuations on returns and volatility of the Bucharest Stock Exchange
This paper explores the influence of the foreign exchange rates variation on the returns and volatility of the stock prices from the Romanian capital market for the period of time January 2000 - December 2012. This period was split in four sub-samples corresponding to different stages of the Romanian financial markets evolution. The GARCH models employed in this investigation provided different results. For the transition period January 2000 - December 2007 we found no evidence of the foreign exchange market on the Bucharest Stock Exchange. During a period of time between the Romania’s adhesion to European Union and the announcement of Lehman Brothers’ bankruptcy the results indicate a significant impact of the foreign exchange rates on the stock returns. For the period from September 2008 to February 2010 we find that foreign exchange rates influenced not only the stock returns but also their volatility. However, between March 2010 and December 2012 the impact of the foreign exchange market on the Romanian capital market was limited to the returns. We conclude that influence of the foreign exchange rates variation on the returns and volatility of the stock prices depended on the factors such as the foreign capitals inflows, the global crisis effects and the perceptions of the national economy.
|Date of creation:||28 Feb 2013|
|Date of revision:||04 Apr 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Abdul Qayyum & A. R. Kemal, 2006.
"Volatility Spillover between the Stock Market and the Foreign Market in Pakistan,"
2006:7, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics.
- Abdul Qayyum & A. R. Kemal, 2006. "Volatility Spillover between the Stock Market and the Foreign Market in Pakistan," Finance Working Papers 22216, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Huzaimi Hussain & Venus Khim-Sen Liew, 2004. "Causal Relationships Between Exchange Rates And Stock Prices In Malaysia And Thailand During The 1997 Currency Crisis Turmoil," International Finance 0405015, EconWPA.
- Angelos Kanas, 2000.
"Volatility Spillovers Between Stock Returns and Exchange Rate Changes: International Evidence,"
Journal of Business Finance & Accounting,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(3&4), pages 447-467.
- Angelos Kanas, 2000. "Volatility Spillovers Between Stock Returns and Exchange Rate Changes: International Evidence," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(3-4), pages 447-467.
- Tsuyuguchi, Yosuke & Wooldridge, Philip D., 2008. "The evolution of trading activity in Asian foreign exchange markets," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 231-246, December.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
EERI Research Paper Series
EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Razvan STEFANESCU & Ramona DUMITRIU, 2009. "Impact of the Global Crisis on the Financial Linkages between the Stock Market and the Foreign Exchange Market from Romania," Economics and Applied Informatics, "Dunarea de Jos" University of Galati, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, issue 2, pages 255-270.
- Pan, Ming-Shiun & Fok, Robert Chi-Wing & Liu, Y. Angela, 2007. "Dynamic linkages between exchange rates and stock prices: Evidence from East Asian markets," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 503-520.
- Issam Abdalla & Victor Murinde, 1997. "Exchange rate and stock price interactions in emerging financial markets: evidence on India, Korea, Pakistan and the Philippines," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(1), pages 25-35.
- Apergis, Nicholas & Rezitis, Anthony, 2001. "Asymmetric Cross-Market Volatility Spillovers: Evidence from Daily Data on Equity and Foreign Exchange Markets," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 69(0), pages 81-96, Supplemen.
- Hatemi-J, Abdulnasser & Irandoust, Manuchehr, 2002. "On the Causality between Exchange Rates and Stock Prices: A Note," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(2), pages 197-203, April.
- Tai, Chu-Sheng, 2007. "Market integration and contagion: Evidence from Asian emerging stock and foreign exchange markets," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 264-283, December.
- Melvin, Michael & Taylor, Mark P, 2009.
"The Crisis in the Foreign Exchange Market,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7472, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Razvan STEFANESCU & Ramona DUMITRIU, 2011. "Interactions between the Exchange Rates and the Differential of the Stock Returns between Romania and US during the Global Crisis," Economics and Applied Informatics, "Dunarea de Jos" University of Galati, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, issue 2, pages 61-66.
- Ahmad, Rubi & Rhee, S. Ghon & Wong, Yuen Meng, 2012. "Foreign exchange market efficiency under recent crises: Asia-Pacific focus," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 1574-1592.
- Phylaktis, Kate & Ravazzolo, Fabiola, 2005. "Stock prices and exchange rate dynamics," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(7), pages 1031-1053, November.
- Kan, Denis & Andreosso-O'Callaghan, B., 2007. "Examination of the efficient market hypothesis--the case of post-crisis Asia Pacific countries," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 294-313, April.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger & Fischer, Stanley, 1980. "Exchange Rates and the Current Account," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(5), pages 960-71, December.
- Inagaki, Kazuyuki, 2007. "Testing for volatility spillover between the British pound and the euro," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 161-174, June.
- Sheng-Yung Yang & Shuh-Chyi Doong, 2004. "Price and Volatility Spillovers between Stock Prices and Exchange Rates: Empirical Evidence from the G-7 Countries," International Journal of Business and Economics, College of Business, and College of Finance, Feng Chia University, Taichung, Taiwan, vol. 3(2), pages 139-153, August.
- Richard A. Ajayi & Mbodja Mougouė, 1996. "On The Dynamic Relation Between Stock Prices And Exchange Rates," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 19(2), pages 193-207, 06.
- Chkili, Walid & Aloui, Chaker & Nguyen, Duc Khuong, 2012. "Asymmetric effects and long memory in dynamic volatility relationships between stock returns and exchange rates," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 738-757.
- Crowder, William J, 1994. "Foreign exchange market efficiency and common stochastic trends," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(5), pages 551-564, October.
- Hirotugu Akaike, 1969. "Fitting autoregressive models for prediction," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 21(1), pages 243-247, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:47229. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.