Evaluating Case-based Decision Theory: Predicting Empirical Patterns of Human Classification Learning (Extensions)
We introduce a computer program which calculates an agent’s optimal behavior according to Case-based Decision Theory (Gilboa and Schmeidler, 1995) and use it to test CBDT against a benchmark set of problems from the psychological literature on human classification learning (Shepard et al., 1961). This allows us to evaluate the efficacy of CBDT as an account of human decision-making on this set of problems. We find: (1) The choice behavior of this program (and therefore Case-based Decision Theory) correctly predicts the empirically observed relative difficulty of problems and speed of learning in human data. (2) ‘Similarity’ (how CBDT decision makers extrapolate from memory) is decreasing in vector distance, consistent with evidence in psychology (Shepard, 1987). (3) The best-fitting parameters suggest humans aspire to an 80 − 85% success rate, and humans may increase their aspiration level during the experiment. (4) Average similarity is rejected in favor of additive similarity.
|Date of creation:||18 Mar 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gabrielle Gayer & Itzhak Gilboa & Offer Lieberman, 2004.
"Rule-Based and Case-Based Reasoning in Housing Prices,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1493, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Gayer Gabrielle & Gilboa Itzhak & Lieberman Offer, 2007. "Rule-Based and Case-Based Reasoning in Housing Prices," The B.E. Journal of Theoretical Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 7(1), pages 1-37, April.
- Itzhak Gilboa & Gabrielle Gayer & O. Lieberman, 2007. "Rule-Based and Case-Based Reasoning in Housing Prices," Post-Print hal-00481229, HAL.
- Gabrielle Gayer & Itzhak Gilboa & Offer Lieberman, 2004. "Rule-Based and Case-Based Reasoning in Housing Prices," Levine's Bibliography 122247000000000672, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Gilboa, Itzhak & Schmeidler, David, 1996.
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 1-26, July.
- David K. Levine & Drew Fudenberg, 2006.
"A Dual-Self Model of Impulse Control,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 96(5), pages 1449-1476, December.
- Drew Fudenberg & David K. Levine, 2004. "A Dual Self Model of Impulse Control," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 2049, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Drew Fudenberg & David K Levine, 2005. "A Dual Self Model of Impulse Control," Levine's Working Paper Archive 618897000000000876, David K. Levine.
- Drew Fudenberg & David K. Levine, 2006. "A Dual Self Model of Impulse Control," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 2112, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Fudenberg, Drew & Levine, David, 2006. "A Dual-Self Model of Impulse Control," Scholarly Articles 3196335, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Antoine Billot & Itzhak Gilboa & David Schmeidler, 2004.
"Axiomatization of an Exponential Similarity Function,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1485, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Billot, Antoine & Gilboa, Itzhak & Schmeidler, David, 2008. "Axiomatization of an exponential similarity function," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 107-115, March.
- Antoine Billot & Itzhak Gilboa & David Schmeidler, 2008. "Axiomatization of an exponential similarity function," Post-Print hal-00463265, HAL.
- Itzhak Gilboa & David Schmeidler, 1992.
"Case-Based Decision Theory,"
994, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Roth, Alvin E. & Erev, Ido, 1995. "Learning in extensive-form games: Experimental data and simple dynamic models in the intermediate term," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 164-212.
- David Laibson, 1997.
"Golden Eggs and Hyperbolic Discounting,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 112(2), pages 443-478.
- Golosnoy, Vasyl & Okhrin, Yarema, 2008. "General uncertainty in portfolio selection: A case-based decision approach," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 67(3-4), pages 718-734, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:45206. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.