Integration of migrants in Italy: A simple general and objective measure
Measuring migrants’ integration into host societies is a challenging task as, in general, measuring any social behavior and social phenomena. The task is affected by many specific problems related to the definition of the objective of study and the impact of subjective evaluations in the construction of an index. Our study aims to provide a measure of integration as much as possible general and objective. More in details, first, we consider some different general aspects of the integration problem related to migrants’ polarization, cultural diversification, social stability, integration in the labor market. Second, we aggregate them in a synthetic linear index, which is rather objective since the weights are computed by only considering the statistical properties of our dataset, i.e. choosing those weights that minimize the information loss in terms of data variances/co-variances.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carbonai, Davide & Di Bartolomeo, Giovanni, 2006.
"Interlocking directorates as a thrust substitute: The case of the Italian non-life insurance industry,"
4420, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Carbonai Davide & Di Bartolomeo Giovanni, 2006. "Interlocking directorates as a trust substitute: The case of the Italian non-life insurance industry," wp.comunite 0001, Department of Communication, University of Teramo.
- Daniela del Boca & Alessandra Venturini, 2001.
CHILD Working Papers
wp26_01, CHILD - Centre for Household, Income, Labour and Demographic economics - ITALY.
- Boeri, Tito & Hanson, Gordon H. & McCormick, Barry (ed.), 2002. "Immigration Policy and the Welfare System: A Report for the Fondazione Rodolfo Debenedetti," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199256310.
- George J. Borjas, 1994. "The Economics of Immigration," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 32(4), pages 1667-1717, December.
- Giovanni Di Bartolomeo & Enrico Marchetti, 2004.
"Central banks and information provided to the private sector,"
Banca Nazionale del Lavoro Quarterly Review,
Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 57(230), pages 265-295.
- Giovanni Di Bartolomeo & Enrico Marchetti, 2004. "Central banks and information provided to the private sector," BNL Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 57(230), pages 265-295.
- Giovanni Di Bartolomeo & Enrico Marchetti, 2005. "Central banks and information provided to the private sector," Macroeconomics 0504025, EconWPA, revised 27 Apr 2005.
- Giovanni Di Bartolomeo & Enrico Marchetti, 2002. "Central banks and information provided to the private sector," Working Papers 61, University of Rome La Sapienza, Department of Public Economics.
- Enrico Marchetti & Giovanni Di Bartolomeo, 2003. "Central Banks and Information Provided to the Private Sector," Macroeconomics 0311009, EconWPA.
- Bauer, T. & Zimmermann, K., 1995.
"Integrating the East: The Labor Market Effects of Immigration,"
5, American Institute for Contemporary German Studies-.
- Bauer, Thomas & Zimmermann, Klaus F, 1995. "Integrating the East: The Labour Market Effects of Immigration," CEPR Discussion Papers 1235, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Borjas, George J., 1999. "The economic analysis of immigration," Handbook of Labor Economics, in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 28, pages 1697-1760 Elsevier.
- Bauer, Thomas K. & Lofstrom, Magnus & Zimmermann, Klaus F., 2000. "Immigration Policy, Assimilation of Immigrants and Natives' Sentiments towards Immigrants: Evidence from 12 OECD-Countries," IZA Discussion Papers 187, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:4421. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.