The Oomph in economic philosophy: a bibliometric analysis of the main trends, from the 1960s to the present
In this essay, I quantitatively analyze the significance of scholarship in economic philosophy since the 1960s. In order to do so, I examine, through the number of publications and citations, the evolution of the main trends in economic philosophy over a fifty years period. This paper will develop a better conception of how the pathways of major debates, in particular rhetoric of economics (RoE) versus realism in economics (RiE), helped economic philosophy achieve its present status in economics. Viewed through this lens, it is clear that the main trends in the recent history of the discipline have emerged out of the concerns of non-mainstream economists since the 1980s.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jack Vromen, 2004. "Conjectural revisionary economic ontology: Outline of an ambitious research agenda for evolutionary economics," Journal of Economic Methodology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(2), pages 213-247.
- McCloskey, Donald N, 1983. "The Rhetoric of Economics," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 21(2), pages 481-517, June.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521451895 is not listed on IDEAS
- Roger Backhouse, 2010. "Methodology in action," Journal of Economic Methodology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(1), pages 3-15.
- Duncan Hodge, 2007. "Economics, realism and reality: a comparison of MÃ¤ki and Lawson," Working Papers 63, Economic Research Southern Africa.
- John B. Davis, 2007. "The turn in economics and the turn in economic methodology," Journal of Economic Methodology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(3), pages 275-290.
- Altug Yalcintas, 2012. "A notion evolving: From 'institutional path dependence' to 'intellectual path dependence'," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 32(2), pages 1091-1098.
- Hausman, Daniel M., 1998. "Problems with Realism in Economics," Economics and Philosophy, Cambridge University Press, vol. 14(02), pages 185-213, October.
- D. Wade Hands, 2002. "Economic methodology is dead - long live economic methodology: thirteen theses on the new economic methodology," Journal of Economic Methodology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(1), pages 49-63.
- Geoffrey M. Hodgson, 1998. "The Approach of Institutional Economics," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 36(1), pages 166-192, March.
- Lawson, Tony, 1989. "Abstraction, Tendencies and Stylised Facts: A Realist Approach to Economic Analysis," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 13(1), pages 59-78, March.
- Ziliak, Stephen T. & McCloskey, Deirdre N., 2004. "Significance redux," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 665-675, November.
- Hausman, Daniel M, 1989. "Economic Methodology in a Nutshell," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 3(2), pages 115-27, Spring.
- Boland, Lawrence A, 1979. "A Critique of Friedman's Critics," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 17(2), pages 503-22, June.
- Rosenberg, Alexander, 1988. "Rhetoric is not Important Enough for Economists to Bother About," Economics and Philosophy, Cambridge University Press, vol. 4(01), pages 173-175, April.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521797962 is not listed on IDEAS
- Lawson, Clive & Peacock, Mark & Pratten, Stephen, 1996. "Realism, Underlabouring and Institutions: Review Article," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 20(1), pages 137-51, January.
- Daniel B. Klein & Eric Chiang, 2004. "The Social Science Citation Index: A Black Boxâ€”with an Ideological Bias?," Econ Journal Watch, Econ Journal Watch, vol. 1(1), pages 134-165, April.
- D Wade Hands, 1997. "Empirical Realism as Meta-Method: Tony Lawson on Neoclassical Economics," Ekonomia, Cyprus Economic Society and University of Cyprus, vol. 1(2), pages 39-53, Winter.
- Glenn Fox, 1997. "Reason and Reality in the Methodologies of Economics," Books, Edward Elgar, number 1266, July.
- Gerrard, Bill, 1990. " On Matters Methodological in Economics: Review Article," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 4(2), pages 197-219.
- Tony Lawson, 2006. "The nature of heterodox economics," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 30(4), pages 483-505, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:44191. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.