The Market for Lemmas
We consider the use of complex mathematics in economics. The evidence suggests that the usage of complex mathematics has escalated significantly over the past half century. The empirical evidence indicates that complex mathematical models in economic theory have generated few operational propositions. However, with only one exception, none of the economics articles that were published in a set of prestigious journals and had 500 or more citations in the journal literature could be considered highly complex using our metrics. In contrast articles in econometrics/statistics that had 500 or more citations in the literature were frequently complex by our metrics. The usage of complex mathematics in the most highly cited articles in economics versus econometrics/statistics was significantly different, both statistically and quantitatively.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2007|
|Date of revision:||Apr 2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (765) 285-5360
Fax: (765) 285-8024
Web page: http://www.bsu.edu/econ
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rubinstein, Ariel, 1980. "Stability of decision systems under majority rule," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 150-159, October.
- Frank Hindriks, 2005. "Unobservability, tractability and the battle of assumptions," Journal of Economic Methodology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(3), pages 383-406.
- Littlechild, S. C. & Owen, G., 1980. "An Austrian model of the entrepreneurial market process," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 361-379, December.
- Donald F. Gordon, 1955. "Operational Propositions in Economic Theory," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 63, pages 150.
- McCloskey, Donald N, 1983. "The Rhetoric of Economics," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 21(2), pages 481-517, June.
- Gaines, Robert E., 1980. "Existence of solutions to Hamiltonian dynamical systems of economic growth with marxian savings hypothesis," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 1-14, August.
- Kleinberg, Norman L., 1980. "Fair allocations and equal incomes," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 189-200, October.
- Hausman, Daniel M, 1989. "Economic Methodology in a Nutshell," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 3(2), pages 115-27, Spring.
- Balasko, Yves & Shell, Karl, 1980. "The overlapping-generations model, I: The case of pure exchange without money," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 281-306, December.
- Cohen, Susan I., 1980. "Incentives, iterative communication, and organizational control," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 37-55, February.
- Dubey, Pradeep, 1980. "Nash equilibria of market games: Finiteness and inefficiency," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 363-376, April.
- Makowski, Louis, 1980. "A characterization of perfectly competitive economies with production," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 208-221, April.
- Green, Edward J., 1980. "Noncooperative price taking in large dynamic markets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 155-182, April.
- Philip R. P. Coelho & James E. McClure, 2005. "Theory versus Application: Does Complexity Crowd Out Evidence?," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 556-565, January.
- Leontief, Wassily, 1971. "Theoretical Assumptions and Nonobserved Facts," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 61(1), pages 1-7, March.
- Krass, Iosif, 1980. "Properties of Von Neumann--Gale cooperation models," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 82-110, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bsu:wpaper:200702. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tung Liu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.