Detecting dependence between spatial processes
Testing the assumption of independence between variables is a crucial aspect of spatial data analysis. However, the literature is limited and somewhat confusing. To our knowledge, we can mention only the bivariate generalization of Moran’s statistic. This test suffers from several restrictions: it is applicable only to pairs of variables, a weighting matrix and the assumption of linearity are needed; the null hypothesis of the test is not totally clear. Given these limitations, we develop a new non-parametric test based on symbolic dynamics with better properties. We show that the test can be extended to a multivariate framework, it is robust to departures from linearity, it does not need a weighting matrix and can be adapted to different specifications of the null. The test is consistent, computationally simple and with good size and power, as shown by a Monte Carlo experiment. An application to the case of the productivity of the manufacturing sector in the Ebro Valley illustrates our approach.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Patricia Rice & Tony Venables, 2004.
"Spatial determinants of productivity: analysis for the regions of Great Britain,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
2040, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Rice, Patricia & Venables, Anthony J. & Patacchini, Eleonora, 2006. "Spatial determinants of productivity: Analysis for the regions of Great Britain," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 727-752, November.
- Patricia Rice & Anthony J. Venables, 2004. "Spatial Determinants of Productivity: Analysis for the Regions of Great Britain," CEP Discussion Papers dp0642, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Rice, Patricia & Venables, Anthony J, 2004. "Spatial Determinants of Productivity: Analysis for the Regions of Great Britain," CEPR Discussion Papers 4527, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Romer, Paul M, 1990.
"Endogenous Technological Change,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(5), pages S71-102, October.
- Matilla-García, Mariano & Ruiz Marín, Manuel, 2009. "Detection of non-linear structure in time series," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 105(1), pages 1-6, October.
- Peter Burridge, 2012. "Improving the J Test in the SARAR Model by Likelihood-based Estimation," Spatial Economic Analysis, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(1), pages 75-107, March.
- Rikard Eriksson & Urban Lindgren, 2009. "Localized mobility clusters: impacts of labour market externalities on firm performance," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 9(1), pages 33-53, January.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Hedi D. Kallal & Jose A. Scheinkman & Andrei Shleifer, 1991.
"Growth in Cities,"
NBER Working Papers
3787, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Peter Burridge & Bernard Fingleton, 2010. "Bootstrap Inference in Spatial Econometrics: the J-test," Spatial Economic Analysis, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 5(1), pages 93-119.
- Antonio Ciccone, 1998.
"Agglomeration-effects in Europe,"
Economics Working Papers
499, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Aug 1999.
- Daniel C. Monchuk & Dermot J. Hayes & John Miranowski, 2008.
"Inference Based on Alternative Bootstrapping Methods in Spatial Models with an Application to County Income Growth in the United States,"
Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications
08-wp471, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Daniel C. Monchuk & Dermot J. Hayes & John A. Miranowski & Dayton M. Lambert, 2011. "Inference Based On Alternative Bootstrapping Methods In Spatial Models With An Application To County Income Growth In The United States," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(5), pages 880-896, December.
- Monchuk, Daniel C. & Hayes, Dermot J. & Miranowski, John & Lambert, Dayton, 2013. "Inference Based on Alternative Bootstrapping Methods in Spatial Models with an Application to County Income Growth in the United States," Staff General Research Papers Archive 36121, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Daniel C. Monchuk & Dermot J. Hayes & John Miranowski & Dayton M. Lambert, 2010. "Inference Based on Alternative Bootstrapping Methods in Spatial Models with an Application to County Income Growth in the United States," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 10-wp507, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- López, Fernando & Matilla-García, Mariano & Mur, Jesús & Marín, Manuel Ruiz, 2010. "A non-parametric spatial independence test using symbolic entropy," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(2-3), pages 106-115, May.
- Antonio Ciccone & Robert E. Hall, 1995.
"Productivity and the density of economic activity,"
Economics Working Papers
120, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Manuel Ruiz & Fernando López & Antonio Páez, 2010. "Testing for spatial association of qualitative data using symbolic dynamics," Journal of Geographical Systems, Springer, vol. 12(3), pages 281-309, September.
- Bernard Fingleton, 2003. "Increasing returns: evidence from local wage rates in Great Britain," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 55(4), pages 716-739, October.
- Bernard Fingleton, 2008. "A generalized method of moments estimator for a spatial model with moving average errors, with application to real estate prices," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 34(1), pages 35-57, February.
- Pinkse, Joris & Slade, Margaret E., 1998. "Contracting in space: An application of spatial statistics to discrete-choice models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 85(1), pages 125-154, July.
- Matilla-Garcia, Mariano & Ruiz Marin, Manuel, 2008. "A non-parametric independence test using permutation entropy," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 144(1), pages 139-155, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:43861. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.