Eigenvalue distribution and the production price-profit rate relationship in linear single-product systems: theory and empirical evidence
A typical finding in many empirical studies is that the production price-profit rate relationship is, by and large, monotonic. This paper derives, in terms of the usual single-product model, the spectral conditions that make possible the appearance of such monotonicity. Furthermore, using data from input-output tables for a number of countries and years, it examines the extent to which actual economies fulfil those spectral conditions.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kurz,Heinz D. & Salvadori,Neri, 1997.
"Theory of Production,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521588676.
- Lefteris Tsoulfidis, 2002. "Values, prices of production and market prices: some more evidence from the Greek economy," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 26(3), pages 359-369, May.
- Bidard, Christian & Salvadori, Neri, 1995. "Duality between prices and techniques," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 379-389, June.
- Albert E. Steenge & Mark J. P. M. Thissen, 2005. "A New Matrix Theorem: Interpretation in Terms of Internal Trade Structure and Implications for Dynamic Systems," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 84(1), pages 71-94, 02.
- Zonghie Han & Bertram Schefold, 2006. "An empirical investigation of paradoxes: reswitching and reverse capital deepening in capital theory," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 30(5), pages 737-765, September.
- Jaromir Cekota, 1988. "Technological Change in Canada (1961-80): An Application of the Surrogate Wage Function," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 21(2), pages 348-358, May.
- Steedman, Ian & Tomkins, Judith, 1998. "On Measuring the Deviation of Prices from Values," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 22(3), pages 379-385, May.
- Schefold, Bertram, 2008. "C.E.S. production functions in the light of the Cambridge critique," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 783-797, June.
- P. Garegnani, 1970. "Heterogeneous Capital, the Production Function and the Theory of Distribution," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 37(3), pages 407-436.
- Parys, Wilfried, 1982. "The Deviation of Prices from Labor Values," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(5), pages 1208-1212, December.
- Theodore Mariolis & Lefteris Tsoulfidis, 2009. "Decomposing the Changes in Production Prices into "Capital-Intensity" and "Price" Effects: Theory and Evidence from the Chinese Economy ," Contributions to Political Economy, Oxford University Press, vol. 28(1), pages 1-22.
- Ian Steedman, 1999. "Values Do Follow a Simple Rule!," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(1), pages 5-14.
- Lefteris Tsoulfidis, 2008. "Price-value deviations: further evidence from input-output data of Japan," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(6), pages 707-724.
- Mariolis, Theodore, 2003. "Controllability, Observability, Regularity, and the so-called Problem of Transforming Values into Prices of Production," MPRA Paper 24043, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bienenfeld, Mel, 1988. "Regularity in Price Changes as an Effect of Changes in Distribution," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 12(2), pages 247-255, June.
- Aruka, Yuji, 1991. "Generalized Goodwin's theorems on general coordinates," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 69-91, June.
- Theodore Mariolis & Lefteris Tsoulfidis, 2010. "Measures Of Production Price-Labour Value Deviation And Income Distribution In Actual Economies: A Note," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(4), pages 701-710, November.
- Albert Steenge, 1995. "Sraffa and Goodwin: A unifying framework for standards of value in the income distribution problem," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 62(1), pages 55-75, February.
- P. Garegnani, 1970. "A Reply," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 37(3), pages 439-439.
- Mainwaring, L., 1978. "The interest rate equalisation theorem with nontraded goods," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 11-19, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:43716. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.