Eigenvalue distribution and the production price-profit rate relationship in linear single-product systems: theory and empirical evidence
A typical finding in many empirical studies is that the production price-profit rate relationship is, by and large, monotonic. This paper derives, in terms of the usual single-product model, the spectral conditions that make possible the appearance of such monotonicity. Furthermore, using data from input-output tables for a number of countries and years, it examines the extent to which actual economies fulfil those spectral conditions.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Parys, Wilfried, 1982. "The Deviation of Prices from Labor Values," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(5), pages 1208-12, December.
- Bienenfeld, Mel, 1988. "Regularity in Price Changes as an Effect of Changes in Distribution," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 12(2), pages 247-55, June.
- Lefteris Tsoulfidis, 2008. "Price-value deviations: further evidence from input-output data of Japan," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(6), pages 707-724.
- P. Garegnani, 1970. "A Reply," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 37(3), pages 439.
- Jaromir Cekota, 1988. "Technological Change in Canada (1961-80): An Application of the Surrogate Wage Function," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 21(2), pages 348-58, May.
- Lefteris Tsoulfidis, 2002. "Values, prices of production and market prices: some more evidence from the Greek economy," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 26(3), pages 359-369, May.
- Steedman, Ian & Tomkins, Judith, 1998. "On Measuring the Deviation of Prices from Values," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 22(3), pages 379-85, May.
- Kurz,Heinz D. & Salvadori,Neri, 1995.
"Theory of Production,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521443258, June.
- Theodore Mariolis & Lefteris Tsoulfidis, 2010. "Measures Of Production Price-Labour Value Deviation And Income Distribution In Actual Economies: A Note," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(4), pages 701-710, November.
- Mariolis, Theodore, 2003. "Controllability, Observability, Regularity, and the so-called Problem of Transforming Values into Prices of Production," MPRA Paper 24043, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Albert E. Steenge & Mark J. P. M. Thissen, 2005. "A New Matrix Theorem: Interpretation in Terms of Internal Trade Structure and Implications for Dynamic Systems," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 84(1), pages 71-94, 02.
- Aruka, Yuji, 1991. "Generalized Goodwin's theorems on general coordinates," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 69-91, June.
- P. Garegnani, 1970. "Heterogeneous Capital, the Production Function and the Theory of Distribution," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 37(3), pages 407-436.
- Ian Steedman, 1999. "Values Do Follow a Simple Rule!," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(1), pages 5-14.
- Albert Steenge, 1995. "Sraffa and Goodwin: A unifying framework for standards of value in the income distribution problem," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 62(1), pages 55-75, February.
- Bidard, Christian & Salvadori, Neri, 1995. "Duality between prices and techniques," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 379-389, June.
- Schefold, Bertram, 2008. "C.E.S. production functions in the light of the Cambridge critique," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 783-797, June.
- Mainwaring, L., 1978. "The interest rate equalisation theorem with nontraded goods," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 11-19, February.
- Theodore Mariolis & Lefteris Tsoulfidis, 2009. "Decomposing the Changes in Production Prices into "Capital-Intensity" and "Price" Effects: Theory and Evidence from the Chinese Economy ," Contributions to Political Economy, Oxford University Press, vol. 28(1), pages 1-22.
- Zonghie Han & Bertram Schefold, 2006. "An empirical investigation of paradoxes: reswitching and reverse capital deepening in capital theory," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 30(5), pages 737-765, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:43716. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.