Controllability, Observability, Regularity, and the so-called Problem of Transforming Values into Prices of Production
This paper specifies and interprets those direct relations which exist between the dual concepts of complete controllabil-ity/observability (Kalman, 1960), on the one hand, and the con-cept of the regular technique of production (Schefold, 1971), on the other. Specifically, it shows, first, that there is a certain dynamic system for determining labour values, which is connected with the usual system for determining prices of production (à la Sraffa, 1960, Part I) via the z-(Laplace) transform, and, second, that the said system of values is completely controllable when and only when the system of production prices is regular. In view of the above, it could be considered that the z-(Laplace) transform constitutes the solution to the – suitably reformulated – Marxian ‘problem of transforming values into prices of production’. However, on the basis of an economic interpretation of the z-(Laplace) transform, this paper shows, ultimately, not only that such a consideration is erroneous, but also that the supposed ‘problem’ is devoid of economic meaning.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2003|
|Publication status:||Published in Asian-African Journal of Economics and Econometrics 2.3(2003): pp. 113-127|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kurz,Heinz D. & Salvadori,Neri, 1997.
"Theory of Production,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521588676, September.
- Kurz,Heinz D. & Salvadori,Neri, 1995. "Theory of Production," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521443258, August.
- Steedman, Ian & Tomkins, Judith, 1998. "On Measuring the Deviation of Prices from Values," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 22(3), pages 379-385, May.
- Bidard, Christian & Salvadori, Neri, 1995. "Duality between prices and techniques," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 379-389, June.
- Wolfstetter, E, 1973. "Surplus Labour, Synchronised Labor Costs and Marx's Labour Theory of Value," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 83(331), pages 787-809, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:24043. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.