In Favor of Rigor and Relevance: A Reply to Mark Blaug
Mark Blaug has written another paper in which he attacks “Sraffian” economics. He characterizes his piece as “a new version of an earlier effort [that] extends and hopefully deepens the argument.” A careful scrutiny of the paper shows that Blaug reiterates once again his previous criticisms, adds a few new ones, but does not enter into a serious discussion of the replies to his earlier efforts. We provide an overall assessment of Blaug's various attacks on “Sraffians” and draw readers' attention to a significant change in direction in his recent one. In addition, we refute a number of contentions and remarks by Blaug. We conclude with a plea for rigor and relevance.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 43 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 (Fall)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (919) 660-1800
Fax: (919) 684-8974
Web page: http://www.dukeupress.edu/Catalog/ViewProduct.php?viewby=journal&productid=45614
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Heinz D. Kurz & Neri Salvadori (ed.), 1998. "The Elgar Companion to Classical Economics," Books, Edward Elgar, volume 0, number 851, December.
- Salvadori, Neri, 1981. "Falling Rate of Profit with a Constant Real Wage: An Example," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 5(1), pages 59-66, March.
- Mark Blaug, 1999.
"Misunderstanding Classical Economics: The Sraffian Interpretation of the Surplus Approach,"
History of Political Economy,
Duke University Press, vol. 31(2), pages 213-236, Summer.
- Blaug, M., 1998. "Misunderstanding Classical Economics - The Sraffian Interpretation of the Surplus Approach," Discussion Papers 9802, Exeter University, Department of Economics.
- Christian Gehrke & Heinz D. Kurz, 2006. "Sraffa on von Bortkiewicz: Reconstructing the Classical Theory of Value and Distribution," History of Political Economy, Duke University Press, vol. 38(1), pages 91-149, Spring.
- Heinz D. Kurz & Neri Salvadori, 2008. "New Growth Theory and Development Economics," Chapters, in: International Handbook of Development Economics, Volumes 1 & 2, chapter 15 Edward Elgar.
- Kurz, Heinz D, 1992. "Adam Smith on Foreign Trade: A Note on the 'Vent-for-Surplus' Argument," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 59(236), pages 475-81, November.
- Mark Blaug, 2009. "The Trade-Off between Rigor and Relevance: Sraffian Economics as a Case in Point," History of Political Economy, Duke University Press, vol. 41(2), pages 219-247, Summer.
- Kurz, Heinz D, 1978. "Rent Theory in a Multisectoral Model," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 30(1), pages 16-37, March.
- Tony Aspromourgos, 2004. "Sraffian research programmes and unorthodox economics," Review of Political Economy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(2), pages 179-206.
- Schefold, Bertram, 1976. "Different Forms of Technical Progress," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 86(344), pages 806-19, December.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521443258 is not listed on IDEAS
- Neri Salvadori (ed.), 2003. "The Theory of Economic Growth," Books, Edward Elgar, number 2741, December.
- Mark Blaug, 2002. "Kurz and Salvadori on the Sraffian Interpretation of the Surplus Approach," History of Political Economy, Duke University Press, vol. 34(1), pages 237-240, Spring.
- Kurz, Heinz D & Salvadori, Neri, 1992. "Morishima on Ricardo: Review Article," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 16(2), pages 227-47, June.
- Heinz D. Kurz & Neri Salvadori, 2002. "One Theory or Two? Walras's Critique of Ricardo," History of Political Economy, Duke University Press, vol. 34(2), pages 365-398, Summer.
- Heinz D. Kurz & Neri Salvadori, 2002. "Mark Blaug on the “Sraffian Interpretation of the Surplus Approach”," History of Political Economy, Duke University Press, vol. 34(1), pages 225-236, Spring.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hop:hopeec:v:43:y:2011:i:3:p:607-616. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Center for the History of Political Economy Webmaster)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.