Sraffian research programmes and unorthodox economics
This paper provides an overview of the main currents in the development of the intellectual project inaugurated by Piero Sraffa's Production of Commodities by Means of Commodities. Five research programmes are detailed (together with some further extensions): the nature and significance of long-period equilibria; the Cambridge Growth Equation and the monetary determination of interest, as alternative theories of distribution; the Sraffa-Keynes synthesis; and the critique of marginalism. The paper also sketches the relations between the Sraffian project and other unorthodox strands in economics. Future prospects for orthodoxy and non-orthodoxy are canvassed. A substantial literature survey is included. Some day economics may become a science. (attributed to J.M. Keynes, 1932: Rymes, 1989, p. 83)
Volume (Year): 16 (2004)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CRPE20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/CRPE20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sergio Cesaratto & Franklin Serrano & Antonella Stirati, 2003. "Technical Change, Effective Demand and Employment," Review of Political Economy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(1), pages 33-52.
- Arestis, Philip, 1996. "Post-Keynesian Economics: Towards Coherence," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 20(1), pages 111-35, January.
- Garegnani, Pierangelo, 1984. "Piero Sraffa," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 8(1), pages 1-2, March.
- Steedman, Ian & Metcalfe, J S, 1981. "On Duality and Basic Commodities in an Open Economy," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 20(36), pages 133-41, June.
- Park, Man-Seop, 1997. "Accumulation, Capacity Utilisation and Distribution," Contributions to Political Economy, Oxford University Press, vol. 16(0), pages 87-101.
- Philip Arestis & Stephen P. Dunn & Malcolm Sawyer, 1999. "Post Keynesian Economics and Its Critics," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 21(4), pages 527-549, July.
- Antonella Stirati, 2001. "Inflation, Unemployment and Hysteresis: An alternative view," Review of Political Economy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(4), pages 427-451.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:revpoe:v:16:y:2004:i:2:p:179-206. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.