On Bródy’s conjecture: facts and figures from the US economy
Bródy’s conjecture is submitted to an empirical test using input-output flow data of varying size for the US economy for the benchmark years 1997 and 2002, as well as for the period 1998-2010. The results suggest that the ratio of the modulus of the subdominant eigenvalue to the dominant one increases both with the size of the matrix and, for the same matrix size, over the years lending support to the view of increasing instability (in the sense of Bródy) for the US economy over the period 1997-2010.
|Date of creation:||May 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bienenfeld, Mel, 1988. "Regularity in Price Changes as an Effect of Changes in Distribution," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 12(2), pages 247-55, June.
- Christian Bidard & Tom Schatteman, 2001. "The Spectrum of Random Matrices," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(3), pages 289-298.
- Stanisław Białas & Henryk Gurgul, 1998. "On Hypothesis about the Second Eigenvalue of the Leontief Matrix," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(3), pages 285-290.
- Theodore Mariolis & Lefteris Tsoulfidis, 2009. "Decomposing the Changes in Production Prices into "Capital-Intensity" and "Price" Effects: Theory and Evidence from the Chinese Economy ," Contributions to Political Economy, Oxford University Press, vol. 28(1), pages 1-22.
- Gyorgy Molnar & Andras Simonovits, 1998. "The Subdominant Eigenvalue of a Large Stochastic Matrix," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(1), pages 79-82.
- Guang-Zhen Sun, 2008. "The First Two Eigenvalues of Large Random Matrices and Brody's Hypothesis on the Stability of Large Input-Output Systems," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(4), pages 429-432.
- Iliadi, Fotoula & Mariolis, Theodore & Soklis, George & Tsoulfidis, Lefteris, 2012. "Bienenfeld’s approximation of production prices and eigenvalue distribution: some more evidence from five European economies," MPRA Paper 36282, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Albert E. Steenge & Mark J. P. M. Thissen, 2005. "A New Matrix Theorem: Interpretation in Terms of Internal Trade Structure and Implications for Dynamic Systems," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 84(1), pages 71-94, 02.
- F. Berkhout, 1999. "Essay," Energy & Environment, , vol. 10(2), pages 209-212, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:43719. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.