From Riches to Rags or What Went Wrong in Greece
The economic and social progress Greece achieved in the early post war decades decelerated after 1974 because all institutions sustaining the effi-cient operation of democracy and free markets were deliberately and gravely eroded. Under the impetus of hard core socialists provisions introduced in the 1975 constitution, economic policies extended further in the direction of unfettered statism, thus destroying the international competitiveness of the Greek economy. Some researchers have attributed the economic decline of Greece to its entry into the EU. I look into these allegations and find that they have little or no basis on the available evidence.
|Date of creation:||31 Dec 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Reinhart, Carmen, 2009.
"The Second Great Contraction,"
21485, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2009. "Varieties of Crises and Their Dates," Introductory Chapters, in: This Time Is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly Princeton University Press.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2009. "This Time Is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, number 8973.
- Papantoniou, John, 1979. "Foreign Trade and Industrial Development: Greece and the EEC," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 3(1), pages 33-48, March.
- Oltheten, Elisabeth & Pinteris, George & Sougiannis, Theodore, 2003. "Greece in the European Union: policy lessons from two decades of membership," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 43(5), pages 774-806.
- Georgakopoulos, Theodore A & Paschos, Panagiotis G, 1985. "Greek Agriculture and the CAP," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 12(3), pages 247-263.
- Bitros, George C. & Karayiannis, Anastassios D., 2010. "Morality, institutions and the wealth of nations: Some lessons from ancient Greece," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 68-81, March.
- Katsimi, Margarita & Moutos, Thomas, 2010. "EMU and the Greek crisis: The political-economy perspective," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 568-576, December.
- Bitros, George C, 1981. "The Fungibility Factor in Credit and the Question of the Efficacy of Selective Controls," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 33(3), pages 459-477, November.
- Reinhart, Karmen & Rogoff, Kenneth, 2009. ""This time is different": panorama of eight centuries of financial crises," Economic Policy, Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration, vol. 1, pages 77-114, March.
- Baltas, Nicholas C., 1997. "The restructured CAP and the periphery of the EU," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 329-343, August.
- Bosworth, B. & Kollintzas, T., 2001.
"Economic Growth in Greece: Past Performance and Future Prospects,"
Athens University of Economics and Business
134, Athens University of Economics and Business, Department of International and European Economic Studies.
- Bosworth, Barry & Kollintzas, Tryphon, 2001. "Economic Growth in Greece: Past Performance and Future Prospects," CEPR Discussion Papers 2852, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bosworth, B. & Kollintzas, T., 2001. "Economic Growth in Greece: Past Performance and Future Prospects," DEOS Working Papers 134, Athens University of Economics and Business.
- Brissimis, Sophocles N. & Leventakis, John A., 1989. "The effectiveness of devaluation: A general equilibrium assessment with reference to Greece," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 247-271.
- Georgakopoulos, Theodore A, 1988. "The Impact of Accession on Agricultural Incomes in Greece," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 15(1), pages 79-88.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:43504. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.