An Input-Output Analysis of Environmental Effects of Infrastructure Investments in the Greek Economy: The Case of - Attiki Odos - motorway (refereed paper)
This paper calculates the environmental effects of the Attiki Odos (AOD) motorway investment expenditures in the Athens Metropolitan Area (AMA), Greece. The AOD is incorporated in the Trans-European Networks (TEN) and is a priority project aimed at developing the AMA. Input â€šÃ„Ã¬ output analysis is applied to assess the environmental impacts of the investments expenditures. More precisely, we apply the environmental input-output life cycle assessment (EIOLCA) method to estimate ex-post the environmental burden associated with the investment vector of AOD. In this context, we calculate each type of emission caused by the AOD investments expenditures (direct, indirect and induced), by sector of economic activity during the construction phase (1999-2004). The investment vector is assembled from figures calculated based on corporate data. Next, in order to estimate the impact of technological change on our estimates, we use ceteris paribus the 2005 input â€šÃ„Ã¬ output table, which expresses, in a nutshell, the production technology of 2005. The domestic input-output tables for 2000 and 2005 come from EUROSTAT. In this framework, the main finding of the paper is that technological change between 2000 and 2005, as expressed through each yearâ€šÃ„Ã´s technical coefficients matrix, provided significant results with respect to total output and emissions. Roughly speaking, total output increased approximately by 7% and emissions decreased approximately by 19%.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bosworth, B. & Kollintzas, T., 2001.
"Economic Growth in Greece: Past Performance and Future Prospects,"
DEOS Working Papers
134, Athens University of Economics and Business.
- Bosworth, Barry & Kollintzas, Tryphon, 2001. "Economic Growth in Greece: Past Performance and Future Prospects," CEPR Discussion Papers 2852, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bosworth, B. & Kollintzas, T., 2001. "Economic Growth in Greece: Past Performance and Future Prospects," Athens University of Economics and Business 134, Athens University of Economics and Business, Department of International and European Economic Studies.
- King, R.G. & Rebelo, S., 1988.
"Public Policy And Economic Growth: Developing Neoclassical Implications,"
RCER Working Papers
225, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- King, Robert G & Rebelo, Sergio, 1990. "Public Policy and Economic Growth: Developing Neoclassical Implications," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(5), pages S126-50, October.
- Robert G. King & Sergio Rebelo, 1990. "Public Policy and Economic Growth: Developing Neoclassical Implications," NBER Working Papers 3338, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barro, Robert J, 1990.
"Government Spending in a Simple Model of Endogenous Growth,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(5), pages S103-26, October.
- Barro, Robert J., 1990. "Government Spending in a Simple Model of Endogeneous Growth," Scholarly Articles 3451296, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Barro, R.J., 1988. "Government Spending In A Simple Model Of Endogenous Growth," RCER Working Papers 130, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Robert J. Barro, 1988. "Government Spending in a Simple Model of Endogenous Growth," NBER Working Papers 2588, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gramlich, Edward M, 1994. "Infrastructure Investment: A Review Essay," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 32(3), pages 1176-1196, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wiw:wiwrsa:ersa10p481. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gunther Maier)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.