Female labour supply in india: proximate determinants
Traditional official definition of ‘work’ in developing countries excludes large number of activities that are predominantly performed by women. Naturally official Female Labour Force Participation Rate is quite low in such countries. Women who are officially in the labourforce must therefore have compelling reasons for doing so. This paper fills the research gap arising due to dearth of econometric analysis of female labour supply in Indian context by identifying proximate determinants. Apart from personal attributes, household characteristics, local economic conditions, and socio-religious traditions are also observed to have a role. The interlinkages are multidimensional and complex and have significant implications for policy formulation.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2011|
|Date of revision:||Oct 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lundberg, Shelly, 1985. "The Added Worker Effect," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 3(1), pages 11-37, January.
- Ashenfelter, Orley, 1980.
"Unemployment as Disequilibrium in a Model of Aggregate Labor Supply,"
Econometric Society, vol. 48(3), pages 547-64, April.
- Orley Ashenfelter, 1977. "Unemployment as Disequilibrium in a Model of Aggregate Labor Supply," Working Papers 484, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- repec:oup:restud:v:47:y:1980:i:1:p:47-74 is not listed on IDEAS
- Kristin Mammen & Christina Paxson, 2000. "Women's Work and Economic Development," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 14(4), pages 141-164, Fall.
- John Dagsvik & Tom Kornstad & Terje Skjerpen, 2013.
"Labor force participation and the discouraged worker effect,"
Springer, vol. 45(1), pages 401-433, August.
- John K. Dagsvik & Tom Kornstad & Terje Skjerpen, 2010. "Labor force participation and the discouraged worker effect," Discussion Papers 642, Statistics Norway, Research Department.
- Bardhan, Pranab K, 1979. "Labor Supply Functions in a Poor Agrarian Economy," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(1), pages 73-83, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:43250. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.