Allocating Commodities in Inflation Hedging Portfolios: A Core Driven Global Macro Strategy
Recent academic studies have shown that since the mid-nineties, the passthrough of exogenous oil shocks into headline inflation has been increasing while the passthrough into core inflation seems to have ceased. This paper explores the implications in term of commodity allocation for inflation hedging portfolios these recent works have paved the way for. We proceed by first evidencing a linkage between the headline to core inflation spread and tradable commodities. We subsequently envisage exploiting it threefold: Firstly by devising an efficient strategic allocation using core inflation forecasts to determine the commodities natural weight in the portfolio as dictated by our macro approach. Secondly by testing a tactical allocation strategy which would time the passthrough cycle to determine dynamically the optimal share of commodities in the allocation. And eventually by proposing a strategy to arbitrage core inflation linked derivatives by cross-replicating them with commodity portfolios.
|Date of creation:||26 Mar 2012|
|Date of revision:||15 Oct 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chen, Shiu-Sheng, 2009. "Oil price pass-through into inflation," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 126-133, January.
- Brière, Marie & Signori, Ombretta, 2011.
"Inflation-hedging Portfolios in Different Regimes,"
Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine
123456789/7744, Paris Dauphine University.
- Vayanos, Dimitri, 1998.
"Transaction Costs and Asset Prices: A Dynamic Equilibrium Model,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 11(1), pages 1-58.
- Dimitri Vayanos, 1998. "Transaction costs and asset prices : a dynamic equilibrium model," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 451, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Boivin, Jean & Giannoni, Marc, 2006.
"Has Monetary Policy Become More Effective?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5463, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Sue Wing, Ian, 2008. "Explaining the declining energy intensity of the U.S. economy," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 21-49, January.
- Hamilton, James D, 1983. "Oil and the Macroeconomy since World War II," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(2), pages 228-48, April.
- James D. Hamilton, 2011. "Historical Oil Shocks," NBER Working Papers 16790, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Todd E. Clark & Stephen J. Terry, 2009.
"Time variation in the inflation passthrough of energy prices,"
Research Working Paper
RWP 09-06, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Todd E. Clark & Stephen J. Terry, 2010. "Time Variation in the Inflation Passthrough of Energy Prices," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 42(7), pages 1419-1433, October.
- José De Gregorio & Oscar Landerretche & Christopher Neilson, 2007.
"Another Pass-Through Bites The Dust? Oil Prices And Inflation,"
wp238, University of Chile, Department of Economics.
- Jose de Gregorio & Oscar Landerretche & Christopher Neilson, 2007. "Another Pass-Through Bites the Dust? Oil Prices and Inflation," ECONOMIA JOURNAL OF THE LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION, ECONOMIA JOURNAL OF THE LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION, January.
- Jose De Gregorio. & Oscar Landerretche. & Christopher Neilson., 2007. "Another Pass-Through Bites the Dust? Oil Prices and Inflation," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 417, Central Bank of Chile.
- Olivier J. Blanchard & Marianna Riggi, 2009.
"Why are the 2000s so different from the 1970s? A structural interpretation of changes in the macroeconomic effects of oil prices,"
NBER Working Papers
15467, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Olivier J. Blanchard & Marianna Riggi, 2013. "WHY ARE THE 2000s SO DIFFERENT FROM THE 1970s? A STRUCTURAL INTERPRETATION OF CHANGES IN THE MACROECONOMIC EFFECTS OF OIL PRICES," Journal of the European Economic Association, European Economic Association, vol. 11(5), pages 1032-1052, October.
- Fulli-Lemaire, Nicolas & Palidda, Ernesto, 2012. "Swapping Headline for Core Inflation: An Asset Liability Management Approach," MPRA Paper 42853, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 16 Nov 2012.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Shaun K. Roache & Alexander P. Attie, 2009. "Inflation Hedging for Long-Term Investors," IMF Working Papers 09/90, International Monetary Fund.
- Fuertes, Ana-Maria & Miffre, Joëlle & Rallis, Georgios, 2010. "Tactical allocation in commodity futures markets: Combining momentum and term structure signals," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(10), pages 2530-2548, October.
- Granger, C. W. J. & Newbold, P., 1974. "Spurious regressions in econometrics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 111-120, July.
- Blanchard, Olivier J & Galí, Jordi, 2008.
"The Macroeconomic Effects of Oil Shocks: Why are the 2000s so Different from the 1970s?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6631, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Olivier J. Blanchard & Jordi Gali, 2007. "The Macroeconomic Effects of Oil Shocks: Why are the 2000s So Different from the 1970s?," NBER Working Papers 13368, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Daskalaki, Charoula & Skiadopoulos, George, 2011. "Should investors include commodities in their portfolios after all? New evidence," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(10), pages 2606-2626, October.
- Amihud, Yakov & Mendelson, Haim, 1986. "Asset pricing and the bid-ask spread," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 223-249, December.
- Paul van den Noord & Christophe André, 2007. "Why has Core Inflation Remained so Muted in the Face of the Oil Shock?," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 551, OECD Publishing.
- Hoevenaars, Roy P.M.M. & Molenaar, Roderick D.J. & Schotman, Peter C. & Steenkamp, Tom B.M., 2008. "Strategic asset allocation with liabilities: Beyond stocks and bonds," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 2939-2970, September.
- Campbell, John Y. & Viceira, Luis M., 2002. "Strategic Asset Allocation: Portfolio Choice for Long-Term Investors," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198296942.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:42852. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.