The determinants of australian exchange rate: a time series analysis
The paper analyzes Australian exchange rate and its determinants by providing an insight into the economic and non-economic factors. By drawing a comparison between quarterly and annual data over the period of 1975 to 2012, it is suggested that Australia’s trade components and macroeconomic indicators such as output and liquidity relative to the US, play a significant role in determination of its exchange rates. However, interest rate and inflation appear insignificant in this relationship. The study also emphasizes on the pertinence of unobservable effects such as political events and external shocks in influencing the exchange rate. Engle-Granger Cointegration test exhibits a long run relationship between exchange rate and its determinants, and corroborates the substantial role of macroeconomic indicators in diminishing the uncertainty in foreign exchange market.
|Date of creation:||30 Oct 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Antonia LÃPEZ VILLAVICENCIO & Josep Lluís RAYMOND BARA, 2008. "Short-Run And Long-Run Determinants Of The Real Exchange Rate In Mexico," The Developing Economies, Institute of Developing Economies, vol. 46(1), pages 52-74.
- Mariam Camarero & Cecilio Tamarit, 2001.
"A panel cointegration approach to the estimation of the peseta real exchange rate,"
01-08, Asociación Española de Economía y Finanzas Internacionales.
- Camarero, Mariam & Tamarit, Cecilio, 2002. "A panel cointegration approach to the estimation of the peseta real exchange rate," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 371-393, September.
- Mariam Camarero & Cecilio Tamarit, . "A panel cointegration approach to the estimation of the peseta real exchange rate," Working Papers on International Economics and Finance 01-08, FEDEA.
- Kempa, Bernd & Wilde, Wolfram, 2011. "Sources of exchange rate fluctuations with Taylor rule fundamentals," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(6), pages 2622-2627.
- Grubacic, Sanja, 2002. "Exchange Rate Adjustment in Partially Liberalized Economy," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 35(3), pages 253-70.
- Baillie, Richard T. & Selover, David D., 1987. "Cointegration and models of exchange rate determination," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 43-51.
- Lee Chin & M. Azali & K. G. Matthews, 2007. "The monetary approach to exchange rate determination for Malaysia," Applied Financial Economics Letters, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 3(2), pages 91-94.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:42309. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.