Pollution abatement and reservation prices in a market game
In this paper we set up an oligopolistic market model, where firms invest in pollution abatement in order to increase the whole market size via an increase in the consumers’ reservation price. Moreover, we suppose that the demand function is not a linear one and the resulting game is not a usual linear quadratic one. In the considered model we investigate the open loop, the memory less closed-loop and the collusive patterns equilibrium. Additionally, we examine the social planning perspective. In the case of a convex demand we found the surprising result that the control and state variables have higher values in the open-loop steady state equilibrium than in the closed loop, while in a linear demand case the equilibrium is undetermined. In all cases we find that only if the market demand has concave curvature are the conclusions clear. A number of propositions and remarks are provided.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anderson, Simon P. & Engers, Maxim, 1992. "Stackelberg versus Cournot oligopoly equilibrium," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 127-135, March.
- Anderson, Simon P & Engers, Maxim, 1994. "Strategic Investment and Timing of Entry," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 35(4), pages 833-853, November.
- Steffen Huck & Hans-Theo Normann & Jörg Oechssler, 2002.
"Stability of the Cournot process - experimental evidence,"
International Journal of Game Theory,
Springer;Game Theory Society, vol. 31(1), pages 123-136.
- Steffen Huck & Hans-Theo Normann & Joerg Oechssler, 1997. "Stability of the Cournot Process - Experimental Evidence," Experimental 9707002, EconWPA.
- Steffen Huck & Hans-Theo Normann & Jörg Oechssler, 2002. "Stability of the Cournot Process - Experimental Evidence," Bonn Econ Discussion Papers bgse1_2002, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Forster, Bruce A., 1980. "Optimal energy use in a polluted environment," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 321-333, December.
- George E. Halkos & George J. Papageorgiou, 2012. "Pollution Control Policy: A Dynamic Taxation Scheme," Czech Economic Review, Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, Institute of Economic Studies, vol. 6(1), pages 14-37, March.
- Kennedy Peter W., 1994. "Equilibrium Pollution Taxes in Open Economies with Imperfect Competition," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 49-63, July.
- Benchekroun, Hassan & van Long, Ngo, 1998. "Efficiency inducing taxation for polluting oligopolists," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 325-342, November.
- Hassan Benchekroun & Ngo Van Long, 1997. "Efficiency Inducing Taxation for Polluting Oligopolists," CIRANO Working Papers 97s-21, CIRANO.
- George Halkos, 1994. "Optimal abatement of sulphur emissions in Europe," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 4(2), pages 127-150, April.
- Dockner,Engelbert J. & Jorgensen,Steffen & Long,Ngo Van & Sorger,Gerhard, 2000. "Differential Games in Economics and Management Science," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521637329, December.
- George Halkos, 1996. "Incomplete information in the acid rain game," Empirica, Springer;Austrian Institute for Economic Research;Austrian Economic Association, vol. 23(2), pages 129-148, June.
- Halkos, George E., 1993. "Sulphur abatement policy: Implications of cost differentials," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 21(10), pages 1035-1043, October. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)