Dynamic modeling of pulse fishing: A game theoretic approach
This paper is concerned with the classic topic of intertemporal resource economics: the optimal harvesting of renewable natural resources over time by one and several resource owners with conflicting interests. The traditional management model, dating back to Plourde (1970), is extended towards a twoÃƒÂ¢Ã¯Â¿Â½Ã¯Â¿Â½state model in which harvesting equipment is treated as a stock variable. As a consequence of this extension, equilibrium dynamics with bifurcations and limit cycles occur. We also discuss conflicts as a game with two types of players involved: the traditional fishermen armed with the basic equipment and the heavy equipment users. Both players have a common depletion function, considered as harvesting, which is dependent together on personal effort and on intensity of equipmentÃƒÂ¢Ã¯Â¿Â½Ã¯Â¿Â½s usage.
|Date of creation:||01 Mar 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (+301) 8214021
Fax: (301) 8214021
Web page: http://deos.aueb.gr/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Levhari & Cees Withagen, 1992. "Optimal management of the growth potential of renewable resources," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 56(3), pages 297-309, October.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521637329 is not listed on IDEAS
- Liski, Matti & Kort, Peter M. & Novak, Andreas, 2001.
"Increasing returns and cycles in fishing,"
Resource and Energy Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 241-258, July.
- Kort, P.M. & Liski, M. & Novak, A.J., 2001. "Increasing returns and cycles in fishing," Other publications TiSEM 005cdced-611c-4158-a257-8, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- M. Liski, P.M. Kort, A.J. Novak, 2001. "Increasing returns and cycles in fishing," Computing in Economics and Finance 2001 126, Society for Computational Economics.
- Liski, M. & Kort, P.M. & Novak, A.J., 2000. "Increasing Returns and Cycles in Fishing," Discussion Paper 2000-57, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Engelbert Dockner & Gustav Feichtinger, 1991. "On the optimality of limit cycles in dynamic economic systems," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 53(1), pages 31-50, February.
- H. Scott Gordon, 1954. "The Economic Theory of a Common-Property Resource: The Fishery," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 62, pages 124.
- Halkos, George & Papageorgiou, George, 2008. "Extraction of non-renewable resources: a differential game approach," MPRA Paper 37596, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- George E. HALKOS & George PAPAGEORGIOU, 2010.
"Dynamic Optimization in Natural Resources Management,"
Journal of Environmental Management and Tourism,
ASERS Publishing, vol. 0(2), pages 92 - 97, December.
- Halkos, George, 2010. "Dynamic optimization in natural resources management," MPRA Paper 24744, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Karl Farmer, 2000. "Intergenerational natural-capital equality in an overlapping-generations model with logistic regeneration," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 72(2), pages 129-152, June.
- Dawid, Herbert & Kopel, Michael, 1997. "On the Economically Optimal Exploitation of a Renewable Resource: The Case of a Convex Environment and a Convex Return Function," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 76(2), pages 272-297, October.
- Smith, Vernon L, 1969. "On Models of Commercial Fishing," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 77(2), pages 181-98, March/Apr.
- Tracy R. Lewis & Richard Schmalensee, 1979. "Non-convexity and Optimal Harvesting Strategies for Renewable Resources," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 12(4), pages 677-91, November.
- Wirl Franz, 1995. "The Cyclical Exploitation of Renewable Resource Stocks May Be Optimal," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 252-261, September.
- Halkos, George & Papageorgiou, George, 2012. "Simple taxation schemes on non–renewable resources extraction," MPRA Paper 40945, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Clark, Colin W. & Munro, Gordon R., 1975. "The economics of fishing and modern capital theory: A simplified approach," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 92-106, December.
- Bjorndal, Trond, 1987. " Production Economics and Optimal Stock Size in a North Atlantic Fishery," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 89(2), pages 145-64.
- Halkos, George & Papageorgiou, George, 2012. "Pollution abatement and reservation prices in a market game," MPRA Paper 42150, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Wolfgang Ströbele & Holger Wacker, 1995. "The economics of harvesting predator-prey systems," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 61(1), pages 65-81, February.
- Berck, Peter, 1981. "Optimal management of renewable resources with growing demand and stock externalities," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 105-117, June.
- Plourde, C G, 1970. "A Simple Model of Replenishable Natural Resource Exploitation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(3), pages 518-22, June.
- Clark, Colin W, 1973. "Profit Maximization and the Extinction of Animal Species," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(4), pages 950-61, July-Aug..
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aue:wpaper:1324. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekaterini Glynou)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.