Extraction of non-renewable resources: a differential game approach
Exploitation of non–renewable resources is an intensively studied field of environmental economics in the last century. Since the influential Hotelling’s paper a huge progress is made in the depletable resources literature. Although a variety of methodologies is used in that problem’s solutions a basic question of time inconsistency arises in the solution process. We show the sources of dynamical time inconsistency in a leader – follower game for which the buyer leads while the extractor follows and the players employ open loop strategies. Also we make use of Markovian informational structure, in a non – renewable resource Nash game, in order to extract strategies that are time consistent. Finally we enlarge the utility function space from the logarithmic utility to the utility functions that exhibits relative risk aversion with the same, with respect to time consistency, strategies.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Archieves of Economic History XXI.1(2008): pp. 5-22|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1976. "Monopoly and the Rate of Extraction of Exhaustible Resources," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 66(4), pages 655-61, September.
- Bergstrom, Theodore C. & Cross, John G. & Porter, Richard C., 1981. "Efficiency-inducing taxation for a monopolistically supplied depletable resource," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 23-32, February.
- A. M. Ulph & G. M. Folie, 1980. "Exhaustible Resources and Cartels: An Intertemporal Nash-Cournot Model," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 13(4), pages 645-58, November.
- Lewis, Tracy R & Matthews, Steven A & Burness, H Stuart, 1979.
"Monopoly and the Rate of Extraction of Exhaustible Resources: Note,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 69(1), pages 227-30, March.
- Lewis, Tracy & Matthews, Steven A. & Burness, H. Stuart., . "Monopoly and the Rate of Extraction of Exhaustible Resources: Notes," Working Papers 137, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Kydland, Finn E & Prescott, Edward C, 1977. "Rules Rather Than Discretion: The Inconsistency of Optimal Plans," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(3), pages 473-91, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:37596. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.