Multiutility representations for incomplete difference preorders
A ``difference preorder'' is a (possibly incomplete) preorder on a space of state changes (rather than the states themselves); it encodes information about preference intensity, in addition to ordinal preferences. We find necessary and sufficient conditions for a difference preorder to be representable by a family of cardinal utility functions which take values in linearly ordered abelian groups. This has applications to interpersonal comparisons, social welfare, and decisions under uncertainty.
|Date of creation:||09 Sep 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- YIlmaz, Özgür, 2008. "Utility representation of lower separable preferences," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 56(3), pages 389-394, November.
- Pivato, Marcus, 2011.
"Additive representation of separable preferences over infinite products,"
28262, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Marcus Pivato, 2014. "Additive representation of separable preferences over infinite products," Theory and Decision, Springer, vol. 77(1), pages 31-83, June.
- Juan Dubra & Fabio Maccheroni & Efe Oki, 2001.
"Expected utility theory without the completeness axiom,"
ICER Working Papers - Applied Mathematics Series
11-2001, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- Dubra, Juan & Maccheroni, Fabio & Ok, Efe A., 2004. "Expected utility theory without the completeness axiom," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 118-133, March.
- Juan Dubra & Fabio Maacheroni & Efe A. Ok, 2001. "Expected Utility Theory without the Completeness Axiom," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1294, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Luca Rigotti & Chris Shannon=20, 2002.
"Uncertainty and Risk in Financial Markets,"
Game Theory and Information
- Rigotti, Luca & Shannon, Chris, 2001. "Uncertainty and Risk in Financial Markets," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt7pp7113z, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Rigotti, Luca & Shannon, Chris, 2001. "Uncertainty and Risk in Financial Markets," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt6m42r5rr, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Rabin, Matthew, 1997.
"Psychology and Economics,"
Department of Economics, Working Paper Series
qt8jd5z5j2, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Efe A. Ok & Pietro Ortoleva & Gil Riella, 2012. "Incomplete Preferences Under Uncertainty: Indecisiveness in Beliefs versus Tastes," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 80(4), pages 1791-1808, 07.
- Sprumont, Yves, 2001. "Paretian Quasi-orders: The Regular Two-Agent Case," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 101(2), pages 437-456, December.
- Michael Mandler, 2006. "Cardinality versus Ordinality: A Suggested Compromise," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 96(4), pages 1114-1136, September.
- Pivato, Marcus, 2011. "Social choice with approximate interpersonal comparison of welfare gains," MPRA Paper 32252, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Marcus Pivato, 2013. "Risky social choice with incomplete or noisy interpersonal comparisons of well-being," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 40(1), pages 123-139, January.
- Tsogbadral Galaabaatar & Edi Karni, 2013. "Subjective Expected Utility With Incomplete Preferences," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 81(1), pages 255-284, 01.
- Baucells, Manel & Shapley, Lloyd S., 2008.
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 329-347, March.
- Lloyd S. Shapley & Manel Baucells, 1998. "Multiperson Utility," UCLA Economics Working Papers 779, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Manel Baucells & Lloyd S. Shapley, 2000. "Multiperson Utility," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0078, Econometric Society.
- Evren, Özgür & Ok, Efe A., 2011. "On the multi-utility representation of preference relations," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(4-5), pages 554-563.
- Paolo Ghirardato & Fabio Maccheroni & Massimo Marinacci & Marciano Siniscalchi, 2001.
"A subjective spin on roulette wheels,"
ICER Working Papers - Applied Mathematics Series
17-2001, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research, revised Aug 2001.
- Veronika Köbberling, 2006. "Strength of preference and cardinal utility," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 27(2), pages 375-391, January.
- Patrick Suppes & Muriel Winet, 1955. "An Axiomatization of Utility Based on the Notion of Utility Differences," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 1(3-4), pages 259-270, 04-07.
- Tyson, Chris, 2001.
"The Foundations of Imperfect Decision Making,"
1714, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Tyson, Christopher J., 2008. "Cognitive constraints, contraction consistency, and the satisficing criterion," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 138(1), pages 51-70, January.
- Christopher J. Tyson, 2007. "Cognitive Constraints, Contraction Consistency, and the Satisficing Criterion," Working Papers 614, Queen Mary University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Christopher J.Tyson, 2005. "Axiomatic Foundations for Satisficing Behavior," Economics Papers 2005-W03, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Edi Karni & Tsogbadral Galaabaatar, 2012.
"Expected Multi-Utility Representations,"
Economics Working Paper Archive
592, The Johns Hopkins University,Department of Economics.
- Ok, Efe A., 2002. "Utility Representation of an Incomplete Preference Relation," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 104(2), pages 429-449, June.
- Mandler, Michael, 2005. "Incomplete preferences and rational intransitivity of choice," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 255-277, February.
- Özgür Evren, 2008. "On the existence of expected multi-utility representations," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 35(3), pages 575-592, June.
- repec:oup:restud:v:49:y:1982:i:2:p:307-11 is not listed on IDEAS
- Kaminski, B., 2007. "On quasi-orderings and multi-objective functions," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 177(3), pages 1591-1598, March.
- Vicki Knoblauch, 2006. "Continuously Representable Paretian Quasi-Orders," Theory and Decision, Springer, vol. 60(1), pages 1-16, 02.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:41182. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.