Multiutility representations for incomplete difference preorders
A difference preorder is a (possibly incomplete) preorder on a space of state changes (rather than the states themselves); it encodes information about preference intensity, in addition to ordinal preferences. We find necessary and sufficient conditions for a difference preorder to be representable by a family of cardinal utility functions which take values in linearly ordered abelian groups. We also discuss the sense in which this cardinal utility representation is unique up to affine transformations, and under what conditions it is real-valued. This has applications to interpersonal comparisons, social welfare, and decisions under uncertainty.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rigotti, Luca & Shannon, Chris, 2001.
"Uncertainty and Risk in Financial Markets,"
Department of Economics, Working Paper Series
qt6m42r5rr, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Luca Rigotti & Chris Shannon=20, 2002. "Uncertainty and Risk in Financial Markets," Game Theory and Information 0201001, EconWPA.
- Rigotti, Luca & Shannon, Chris, 2001. "Uncertainty and Risk in Financial Markets," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt7pp7113z, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Kaminski, B., 2007. "On quasi-orderings and multi-objective functions," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 177(3), pages 1591-1598, March.
- Patrick Suppes & Muriel Winet, 1955. "An Axiomatization of Utility Based on the Notion of Utility Differences," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 1(3-4), pages 259-270, 04-07.
- Marcus Pivato, 2014.
"Additive representation of separable preferences over infinite products,"
Theory and Decision,
Springer, vol. 77(1), pages 31-83, June.
- Pivato, Marcus, 2011. "Additive representation of separable preferences over infinite products," MPRA Paper 28262, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Basu, Kaushik, 1982. "Determinateness of the Utility Function: Revisiting a Controversy of the Thirties," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(2), pages 307-11, April.
- Ghirardato, Paolo & Maccheroni, Fabio & Marinacci, Massimo & Siniscalchi, Marciano, 2001.
"A Subjective Spin on Roulette Wheels,"
1127, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Efe A. Ok & Pietro Ortoleva & Gil Riella, 2012. "Incomplete Preferences Under Uncertainty: Indecisiveness in Beliefs versus Tastes," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 80(4), pages 1791-1808, 07.
- Manel Baucells & Lloyd S. Shapley, 2000.
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
0078, Econometric Society.
- Juan Dubra & Fabio Maacheroni & Efe A. Ok, 2001.
"Expected Utility Theory without the Completeness Axiom,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1294, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Dubra, Juan & Maccheroni, Fabio & Ok, Efe A., 2004. "Expected utility theory without the completeness axiom," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 118-133, March.
- Juan Dubra & Fabio Maccheroni & Efe Oki, 2001. "Expected utility theory without the completeness axiom," ICER Working Papers - Applied Mathematics Series 11-2001, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- Rabin, Matthew, 1997.
"Psychology and Economics,"
Department of Economics, Working Paper Series
qt8jd5z5j2, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Tyson, Christopher J., 2008.
"Cognitive constraints, contraction consistency, and the satisficing criterion,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 138(1), pages 51-70, January.
- Christopher J.Tyson, 2005. "Axiomatic Foundations for Satisficing Behavior," Economics Papers 2005-W03, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Christopher J. Tyson, 2007. "Cognitive Constraints, Contraction Consistency, and the Satisficing Criterion," Working Papers 614, Queen Mary University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Tyson, Chris, 2001. "The Foundations of Imperfect Decision Making," Research Papers 1714, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Özgür Evren, 2008. "On the existence of expected multi-utility representations," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 35(3), pages 575-592, June.
- Vicki Knoblauch, 2006. "Continuously Representable Paretian Quasi-Orders," Theory and Decision, Springer, vol. 60(1), pages 1-16, 02.
- Evren, Özgür & Ok, Efe A., 2011. "On the multi-utility representation of preference relations," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(4-5), pages 554-563.
- Sprumont, Yves, 2001. "Paretian Quasi-orders: The Regular Two-Agent Case," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 101(2), pages 437-456, December.
- Edi Karni & Tsogbadral Galaabaatar, 2012.
"Expected Multi-Utility Representations,"
Economics Working Paper Archive
592, The Johns Hopkins University,Department of Economics.
- Mandler, Michael, 2005. "Incomplete preferences and rational intransitivity of choice," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 255-277, February.
- Ok, Efe A., 2002. "Utility Representation of an Incomplete Preference Relation," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 104(2), pages 429-449, June.
- Michael Mandler, 2006. "Cardinality versus Ordinality: A Suggested Compromise," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 96(4), pages 1114-1136, September.
- YIlmaz, Özgür, 2008. "Utility representation of lower separable preferences," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 56(3), pages 389-394, November.
- Tsogbadral Galaabaatar & Edi Karni, 2013. "Subjective Expected Utility With Incomplete Preferences," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 81(1), pages 255-284, 01.
- Veronika Köbberling, 2006. "Strength of preference and cardinal utility," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 27(2), pages 375-391, January.
- Pivato, Marcus, 2011. "Social choice with approximate interpersonal comparison of welfare gains," MPRA Paper 32252, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Marcus Pivato, 2013. "Risky social choice with incomplete or noisy interpersonal comparisons of well-being," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 40(1), pages 123-139, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:matsoc:v:66:y:2013:i:3:p:196-220. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.