A subjective spin on roulette wheels
We provide a behavioral foundation to the notion of ‘mixture’ of acts, which is used to great advantage in he decision setting introduced by Anscombe and Aumann. Our construction allows one to formulate mixture-space axioms even in a fully sub-jective setting, without assuming the existence of randomizing devices. This simplifies the task of developing axiomatic models which only use behavioral data. Moreover, it is immune from the difficulty that agents may ‘distort’ the probabilities associated with randomizing devices. For illustration, we present simple subjective axiomatizations of some models of choice under uncertainty, including the maxmin expected utility model of Gilboa and Schmeidler, and Bewley’s model of choice with incomplete preferences.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2001|
|Date of revision:||Aug 2001|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Corso Unione Sovietica, 218bis - 10134 Torino - Italy|
Phone: +39 011 6706060
Fax: +39 011 6706060
Web page: http://www.esomas.unito.it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hong Chew Soo & Karni Edi, 1994. "Choquet Expected Utility with a Finite State Space: Commutativity and Act-Independence," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 469-479, April.
- Casadesus-Masanell, Ramon & Klibanoff, Peter & Ozdenoren, Emre, 2000. "Maxmin Expected Utility over Savage Acts with a Set of Priors," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 92(1), pages 35-65, May.
- Ramon Casadesus-Masanell & Peter Klibanoff & Emre Ozdenoren, 1998. "Maximum Expected Utility over Savage Acts with a Set of Priors," Discussion Papers 1218, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Truman F. Bewley, 1986. "Knightian Decision Theory: Part 1," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 807, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Casadesus-Masanell, Ramon & Klibanoff, Peter & Ozdenoren, Emre, 2000. "Maxmin expected utility through statewise combinations," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 49-54, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:icr:wpmath:17-2001. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Simone Pellegrino)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.