Harsanyi's aggregation theorem with incomplete preferences
We provide a generalization of Harsanyi (1955)'s aggregation theorem to the case of incomplete preferences at the individual and social level. Individuals and society have possibly incomplete expected utility preferences that are represented by sets of expected utility functions. Under Pareto indifference, social preferences are represented through a set of aggregation rules that are utilitarian in a generalized sense. Strengthening Pareto indifference to Pareto preference provides a refinement of the representation.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00941799|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Manel Baucells & Lloyd S. Shapley, 2000.
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
0078, Econometric Society.
- Mongin, P., .
"Consistent Bayesian aggregation,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1176, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Ralph Keeney & Robert Nau, 2011. "A theorem for Bayesian group decisions," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 43(1), pages 1-17, August.
- Chambers, Christopher & Takashi Hayashi, 2003.
"Preference Aggregation under Uncertainty: Savage vs. Pareto,"
1184, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Chambers, Christopher P. & Hayashi, Takashi, 2006. "Preference aggregation under uncertainty: Savage vs. Pareto," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 430-440, February.
- DE MEYER, Bernard & MONGIN , Philippe, 1994.
"A Note on Affine Aggregation,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1994014, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- repec:hal:cesptp:halshs-00788647 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hylland, Aanund & Zeckhauser, Richard J, 1979. "The Impossibility of Bayesian Group Decision Making with Separate Aggregation of Beliefs and Values," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(6), pages 1321-36, November.
- John C. Harsanyi, 1955. "Cardinal Welfare, Individualistic Ethics, and Interpersonal Comparisons of Utility," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 63, pages 309.
- Özgür Evren, 2008. "On the existence of expected multi-utility representations," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 35(3), pages 575-592, June.
- Marcus Pivato, 2013. "Risky social choice with incomplete or noisy interpersonal comparisons of well-being," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 40(1), pages 123-139, January.
- Efe A. Ok & Pietro Ortoleva & Gil Riella, 2012. "Incomplete Preferences Under Uncertainty: Indecisiveness in Beliefs versus Tastes," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 80(4), pages 1791-1808, 07.
- Zhou, Lin, 1997. "Harsanyi's Utilitarianism Theorems: General Societies," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 72(1), pages 198-207, January.
- Gajdos, T. & Tallon, J.-M. & Vergnaud, J.-C., 2008.
"Representation and aggregation of preferences under uncertainty,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 141(1), pages 68-99, July.
- Thibault Gajdos & Jean-Marc Tallon & Jean-Christophe Vergnaud, 2008. "Representation and aggregation of preferences under uncertainty," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00266049, HAL.
- Ok, Efe A., 2002. "Utility Representation of an Incomplete Preference Relation," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 104(2), pages 429-449, June.
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00266049 is not listed on IDEAS
- Eric Danan & Thibault Gajdos & Jean-Marc Tallon, 2010. "Aggregating sets of von Neumann-Morgenstern," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne 10068, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:cesptp:halshs-00941799. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.