The challenges of upgrading and diversifying Vietnam's industrial structure
This research attempts to look into how the weaknesses and shortcomings in soft and hard infrastructure have been the obstacles to the upgrading and diversification of industrial structure in Viet Nam. It is important to overview the status of key industries before examining what elements of soft and hard infrastructure pose problems to firms in these industries. A survey is then conducted to determine the impacts of those elements. It is well documented that though achieving high performance in terms of export volumes, Viet Nam’s textile and apparel industry as well as footwear industry mainly include original equipment manufacturers for foreign multinational firms. These industries do not even have control over the domestic market. Meanwhile infant industries such as electronics and automotive mainly import and assemble complete knock down kits. To become higher value-added industries, they should be upgraded to become semi-knocked down kit assemblers and then own design manufacturers (or even own brand manufacturers) and free-on-board exporters. Development of supporting industries and human resource will be the key factor while hurdles created by soft and hard infrastructure should be immediately removed.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fukunari KIMURA & Izuru KOBAYASHI, 2009. "Why Is the East Asia Industrial Corridor Needed?," Working Papers p001, Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA).
- Banomyong, Ruth, 2010. "Supply Chain Dynamics in Asia," ADBI Working Papers 184, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Ruth Banomyong, 2010. "Supply Chain Dynamics in Asia," Working Papers id:3028, eSocialSciences.
- Ruth Banomyong, 2010. "Supply Chain Dynamics in Asia," Trade Working Papers 22879, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Thoburn, John, 2009. "Vietnam as a Role Model for Development," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Khalid Nadvi & John T. Thoburn & Bui Tat Thang & Nguyen Thi Thanh Ha & Nguyen Thi Hoa & Dao Hong Le & Enrique Blanco De Armas, 2004. "Vietnam in the global garment and textile value chain: impacts on firms and workers," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(1), pages 111-123.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:40504. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.