A preliminary investigation of northern Ireland's housing market dynamics
In this paper recent developments in dynamic econometric methodology are used to explore the possibility of asset bubbles in the Northern Ireland housing market. This market is interesting as its house price trajectory is quite unlike any neighbouring market. In recent years it seems to have been influenced both by the general UK market and the Republic of Ireland's housing market. The dynamics of the market are explored through univariate analysis, using sequential unit root tests and fractional integration. The findings provide an indication of the principle developments in the market and could provide the basis for further causal analysis.
|Date of creation:||03 Jul 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Smith, Aaron D., 2004.
"Level Shifts and the Illusion of Long Memory in Economic Time Series,"
11974, University of California, Davis, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Smith, Aaron, 2005. "Level Shifts and the Illusion of Long Memory in Economic Time Series," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 23, pages 321-335, July.
- Marsh, Terry A. & Merton, Robert C., 1984.
"Dividend variability and variance bounds tests for the rationality of stock market prices,"
1584-84., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Marsh, Terry A & Merton, Robert C, 1986. "Dividend Variability and Variance Bounds Tests for the Rationality ofStock Market Prices," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(3), pages 483-98, June.
- Refet S. Gürkaynak, 2005.
"Econometric tests of asset price bubbles: taking stock,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
2005-04, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Refet S. Gürkaynak, 2008. "Econometric Tests Of Asset Price Bubbles: Taking Stock ," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 22(1), pages 166-186, 02.
- Refet Gurkaynak, 2005. "Econometric Tests of Asset Price Bubbles: Taking Stock," Finance 0504008, EconWPA.
- Vargas-Silva, Carlos, 2008.
"Monetary policy and the US housing market: A VAR analysis imposing sign restrictions,"
Journal of Macroeconomics,
Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 977-990, September.
- Carlos Vargas-Silva, 2007. "Monetary policy and the U.S. housing market: A VAR analysis imposing sign restrictions," Working Papers 0705, Sam Houston State University, Department of Economics and International Business.
- Muellbauer, J & Murphy, A, 1996.
"Booms and Busts in the UK Housing Market,"
125, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2009.
"The Aftermath of Financial Crises,"
NBER Working Papers
14656, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Matteo Iacoviello & Stefano Neri, 2007.
"Housing Market Spillovers: Evidence from an Estimated DSGE Model,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
659, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 23 Oct 2009.
- Matteo Iacoviello & Stefano Neri, 2010. "Housing Market Spillovers: Evidence from an Estimated DSGE Model," American Economic Journal: Macroeconomics, American Economic Association, vol. 2(2), pages 125-64, April.
- Matteo Iacoviello & Stefano Neri, 2008. "Housing market spillovers : evidence from an estimated DSGE model," Working Paper Research 145, National Bank of Belgium.
- Matteo Iacoviello & Stefano Neri, 2008. "Housing market spillovers: Evidence from an estimated DSGE model," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 659, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Hott, C., 2011. "Lending behavior and real estate prices," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(9), pages 2429-2442, September.
- Phillips, Peter C.B. & Magdalinos, Tassos, 2007.
"Limit theory for moderate deviations from a unit root,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 136(1), pages 115-130, January.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Tassos Magdalinos, 2004. "Limit Theory for Moderate Deviations from a Unit Root," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1471, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Cunado, J. & Gil-Alana, L.A. & de Gracia, F. Perez, 2005. "A test for rational bubbles in the NASDAQ stock index: A fractionally integrated approach," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(10), pages 2633-2654, October.
- Philipp Sibbertsen & Robinson Kruse, 2009.
"Testing for a break in persistence under long-range dependencies,"
Journal of Time Series Analysis,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(3), pages 263-285, 05.
- Sibbertsen, Philipp & Kruse, Robinson, 2007. "Testing for a break in persistence under long-range dependencies," Hannover Economic Papers (HEP) dp-381, Leibniz Universität Hannover, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
- Kevin J. Lansing, 2007.
"Rational and near-rational bubbles without drift,"
Working Paper Series
2007-10, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Michael Fr�mmel & Robinson Kruse, 2012.
"Testing for a rational bubble under long memory,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(11), pages 1723-1732, November.
- M. Frömmel & R. Kruse, 2011. "Testing for a rational bubble under long memory," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 11/722, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Driffill, John & Sola, Martin, 1998. "Intrinsic bubbles and regime-switching," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 357-373, July.
- Juan J. Dolado & Jesus Gonzalo & Laura Mayoral, 2002. "A Fractional Dickey-Fuller Test for Unit Roots," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(5), pages 1963-2006, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:39806. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.