The tropical timber industry in Gabon: a forward linkages approach to industrialisation
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Brunnschweiler, Christa N. & Bulte, Erwin H., 2008.
"The resource curse revisited and revised: A tale of paradoxes and red herrings,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 55(3), pages 248-264, May.
- Christa N. Brunnschweiler & Erwin H. Bulte, 2006. "The Resource Curse Revisited and Revised: A Tale of Paradoxes and Red Herrings," CER-ETH Economics working paper series 06/61, CER-ETH - Center of Economic Research (CER-ETH) at ETH Zurich.
- Auty, Richard M., 2001. "The political economy of resource-driven growth," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(4-6), pages 839-846, May.
- Owens, Trudy & Wood, Adrian, 1997. "Export-oriented industrialization through primary processing?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(9), pages 1453-1470, September.
- Terheggen, Anne, 2010. "The new kid in the forest: the impact of China's resource demand on Gabon's tropical timber value chain," MPRA Paper 37982, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gavin Bridge, 2008. "Global production networks and the extractive sector: governing resource-based development," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 8(3), pages 389-419, May.
- Kaplinsky, Raphael & Terheggen, Anne & Tijaja, Julia, 2010. "What happens when the market shifts to China ? the Gabon timber and Thai cassava value chains," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5206, The World Bank.
- Hirschman,Albert O., 1981. "Essays in Trespassing," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521282437, April.
- Budy P. Resosudarmo & Arief Anshory Yusuf, 2006. "Is the Log Export Ban an Efficient Instrument for Economic Development and Environmental Protection? The Case of Indonesia," Asian Economic Papers, MIT Press, vol. 5(2), pages 75-104, Spring/Su.
- Stijns, Jean-Philippe, 2006.
"Natural resource abundance and human capital accumulation,"
Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 1060-1083, June.
- Jean-Philippe C. Stijns, 2001. "Natural Resource Abundance and Human Capital Accumulation," Development and Comp Systems 0112001, EconWPA.
- Stijns, Jean-Philippe C., 2001. "Natural Resource Abundance and Human Capital Accumulation," Conference Papers 25128, University of California, Berkeley, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Davis, Graham A., 1995. "Learning to love the Dutch disease: Evidence from the mineral economies," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 23(10), pages 1765-1779, October.
- Szirmai, Adam & Verspagen, Bart, 2015.
"Manufacturing and economic growth in developing countries, 1950–2005,"
Structural Change and Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier, vol. 34(C), pages 46-59.
- Szirmai, Adam & Verspagen, Bart, 2011. "Manufacturing and Economic Growth in Developing Countries, 1950-2005," MERIT Working Papers 069, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- David de Ferranti & Guillermo E. Perry & Daniel Lederman & William E. Maloney, 2002. "From Natural Resources to the Knowledge Economy : Trade and Job Quality," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 14040.
- Kaplinsky, Raphael & Terheggen, Anne & Tijaja, Julia, 2011. "China as a Final Market: The Gabon Timber and Thai Cassava Value Chains," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(7), pages 1177-1190, July.
- Wood, Adrian & Mayer, Jorg, 2001. "Africa's Export Structure in a Comparative Perspective," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 25(3), pages 369-394, May.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Raphael Kaplinsky & Mike Morris, 2016. "Thinning and Thickening: Productive Sector Policies in The Era of Global Value Chains," The European Journal of Development Research, Palgrave Macmillan;European Association of Development Research and Training Institutes (EADI), vol. 28(4), pages 625-645, September.
- Kaplinsky, Raphael, 2015. "Technological upgrading in global value chains and clusters and their contribution to sustaining economic growth in low and middle income economies," MERIT Working Papers 027, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Wenbin Huang & Andreas Wilkes & Xiufang Sun & Anne Terheggen, 2013. "Who is importing forest products from Africa to China? An analysis of implications for initiatives to enhance legality and sustainability," Environment, Development and Sustainability: A Multidisciplinary Approach to the Theory and Practice of Sustainable Development, Springer, vol. 15(2), pages 339-354, April.
- Guney, Selin, 2015. "An Analysis of the Pass-Through of Exchange Rates in Tropical Forest Product Markets: A Smooth Transition Approach," 2015 AAEA & WAEA Joint Annual Meeting, July 26-28, San Francisco, California 205107, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association;Western Agricultural Economics Association.
More about this item
Keywordsemerging economies; China; Gabon; timber sector; global value chains; trade; industrialization; resource-based growth;
- F00 - International Economics - - General - - - General
- L73 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Primary Products and Construction - - - Forest Products
- O25 - Economic Development, Innovation, Technological Change, and Growth - - Development Planning and Policy - - - Industrial Policy
- L78 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Primary Products and Construction - - - Government Policy
- O13 - Economic Development, Innovation, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Agriculture; Natural Resources; Environment; Other Primary Products
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- A10 - General Economics and Teaching - - General Economics - - - General
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2012-04-17 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2012-04-17 (All new papers)
- NEP-SEA-2012-04-17 (South East Asia)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:37976. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/vfmunde.html .