Bilateral Export and Import Demand Functions of Bangladesh: A Cointegration Approach
The past attempts to investigate whether the Marshall-Lerner condition is fulfilled by using aggregate data in Bangladesh suffer from aggregation bias. This paper estimates trade elasticities using bilateral data between Bangladesh and its major trading partners. The results, using data covering 1973-2009, confirm long run relationships of volumes of export and import with real exchange rate and real income. The study unveils that the Marshall-Lerner condition holds only in case of the United States. As such, the depreciation of real exchange rate may not be effective in improving the trade balance of Bangladesh in the long run.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2012|
|Publication status:||Published in Bangladesh Development Studies March 2012, No. 1.Vol. X(2012): pp. 43-60|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jiranyakul, Komain & Brahmasrene, Tantatape, 2002. "An Analysis of the Determinants of Thailand’s Exports and Imports wtih Major Trading Partners," MPRA Paper 45080, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bahmani-Oskooee Mohsen & Taggert Brooks, 1999. "Cointegration Approach to Estimating Bilateral Trade Elasticities Between U.S. and Her Trading Partners," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(4), pages 119-128.
- Thorbecke, Willem & Komoto, Ginalyn, 2010. "Investigating the Effect of Exchange Rate Changes on Transpacific Rebalancing," ADBI Working Papers 247, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Anisul Islam & M. Kabir Hassan, 2004. "An econometric estimation of the aggregate import demand function for Bangladesh: some further results," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(9), pages 575-580.
- Shahe Emran, M. & Shilpi, Forhad, 1996. "Foreign exchange rationing and the aggregate import demand function," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 51(3), pages 315-322, June.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee & Jehanzeb Cheema, 2009. "Short-Run And Long-Run Effects Of Currency Depreciation On The Bilateral Trade Balance Between Pakistan And Her Major Trading Partners," Journal of Economic Development, Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics, vol. 34(1), pages 19-41, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:36919. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.