Corruption as a response to regulation
Previous research has found a negative effect of corruption on growth in the United States. However, some theory suggests corruption might have a positive impact in places with dysfunctional political institutions. This paper investigates whether the corruption-growth link is conditional on the extent of government involvement across U.S. states. Even though no state approaches the level of government intervention found in many developing countries, we still find evidence that corruption’s harmful effects on growth are smaller when regulation is greater.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pierre-Guillaume Méon & Khalid Sekkat, 2005.
"Does corruption grease or sand the wheels of growth?,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/7364, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Pierre-Guillaume Méon & Khalid Sekkat, 2005. "Does corruption grease or sand the wheels of growth?," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 122(1), pages 69-97, January.
- Solow, Robert M., 2000. "Growth Theory: An Exposition," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, edition 2, number 9780195109030.
- Francis T. Lui, 1996. "Three Aspects Of Corruption," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 14(3), pages 26-29, 07.
- Noel Johnson & Courtney LaFountain & Steven Yamarik, 2011. "Corruption is bad for growth (even in the United States)," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 147(3), pages 377-393, June.
- Pierre-Guillaume Méon & Laurent Weill, 2010.
"Is corruption an efficient grease?,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/92603, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Méon, Pierre-Guillaume & Weill, Laurent, 2008. "Is corruption an efficient grease?," BOFIT Discussion Papers 20/2008, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Pierre-Guillaume Méon & Laurent Weill, 2008. "Is Corruption an Efficient Grease ?," Working Papers of LaRGE Research Center 2008-06, Laboratoire de Recherche en Gestion et Economie (LaRGE), Université de Strasbourg.
- Pierre-Guillaume Méon & Laurent Weill, . "Is corruption an efficient grease?," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/8408, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Fisman, Raymond & Svensson, Jakob, 2007.
"Are corruption and taxation really harmful to growth? Firm level evidence,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 83(1), pages 63-75, May.
- Fisman, Raymond & Svensson, Jakob, 2000. "Are corruption and taxation really harmful to growth? - firm-level evidence," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2485, The World Bank.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521659123 is not listed on IDEAS
- Daniel Levy, 2006.
"Price Adjustment Under the Table: Evidence on Efficiency-enhancing Corruption,"
0605, Department of Economics, Emory University (Atlanta).
- Levy, Daniel, 2007. "Price adjustment under the table: Evidence on efficiency-enhancing corruption," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 423-447, June.
- Levy, Daniel, 2007. "Price adjustment under the table: Evidence on efficiency-enhancing corruption," MPRA Paper 1648, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Thomas A. Garrett & Russell M. Rhine, 2011.
"Economic freedom and employment growth in U.S. states,"
Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Jan, pages 1-18.
- Thomas A. Garrett & Russell M. Rhine, 2010. "Economic freedom and employment growth in U.S. states," Working Papers 2010-006, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521632935 is not listed on IDEAS
- Goel, Rajeev K & Nelson, Michael A, 1998. " Corruption and Government Size: A Disaggregated Analysis," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 97(1-2), pages 107-20, October.
- Gasper A. Garofalo & Steven Yamarik, 2002. "Regional Convergence: Evidence From A New State-By-State Capital Stock Series," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 84(2), pages 316-323, May.
- Egger, Peter & Winner, Hannes, 2005. "Evidence on corruption as an incentive for foreign direct investment," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 932-952, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:36873. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.