Assessing regional integration and business potential in the Western Balkans
This paper extrapolates the patterns and volume of business development within the Western Balkans region. This is a war-torn area with social, cultural, religious and political specificities. Despite noticeable institutional and growth progress of the individual countries, regional business is still lagging as persistent state rigidities create trade distortions. We argue that intra-regional business clusters, embedded in shared socio-cultural characteristics, can be the alternative to underdevelopment. Political willingness is the prerequisite, as market forces in transitional areas seem to be of secondary importance to regional business development and integration. New analytical approaches are needed to capture the complex reality.
|Date of creation:||25 Nov 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ben-David, Dan, 1997.
"Convergence Clubs and Subsistence Economies,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1745, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Fabrizio Carmignani, 2005.
"A Note On Income Converge Effects In Regional Integration Agreements,"
- Carmignani, Fabrizio, 2007. "A note on income converge effects in regional integration agreements," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 94(3), pages 361-366, March.
- Marc J. Melitz & Gianmarco I. P. Ottaviano, 2008.
"Market Size, Trade, and Productivity,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 75(1), pages 295-316.
- Ottaviano, Gianmarco & Melitz, Marc, 2008. "Market Size, Trade, and Productivity," Scholarly Articles 3229096, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Marc J. Melitz & Gianmarco I.P. Ottaviano, 2005. "Market Size, Trade, and Productivity," NBER Working Papers 11393, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marc J. Melitz & Gianmarco I.P. Ottaviano, 2005. "Market Size, Trade, and Productivity," Development Working Papers 201, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Karras, Georgios, 1997. "Is Government Investment Underprovided in Europe? Evidence from a Panel of Fifteen Countries," Economia Internazionale / International Economics, Camera di Commercio di Genova, vol. 50(2), pages 223-235.
- Edward Christie, 2001.
"Potential Trade in Southeast Europe: A Gravity Model Approach,"
wiiw Balkan Observatory Working Papers
11, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Edward Christie, 2002. "Potential Trade in Southeast Europe: a Gravity Model Approach," wiiw Working Papers 21, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Mercedes Delgado & Michael Porter & Scott Stern, 2010.
"Clusters and Entrepreneurship,"
10-31, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Ron Boschma & Simona Iammarino, 2009. "Related Variety, Trade Linkages, and Regional Growth in Italy," Economic Geography, Clark University, vol. 85(3), pages 289-311, 07.
- Christian H.M. Ketels & Olga Memedovic, 2008. "From clusters to cluster-based economic development," International Journal of Technological Learning, Innovation and Development, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 1(3), pages 375-392.
- Ioannis-Dionysios Salavrakos & Zornitsa Vasileva Georgieva, 2010. "Is cluster development an explanatory factor of increased levels of FDI? Evidence from the case of Bulgaria," International Journal of Economics and Business Research, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 2(6), pages 461-478.
- Michael Storper & Yun-chung Chen, 2002. "Trade and the location of industries in the OECD and European Union," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 2(1), pages 73-107, January.
- Magnus Henrekson & Johan Torstensson & Rasha Torstensson,, .
"Growth Effects of European Integration,"
96/1, University of Nottingham, CREDIT.
- Henrekson, Magnus & Torstensson, Rasha, 1996. "Growth Effects of European Integration," CEPR Discussion Papers 1465, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Henrekson, Magnus & Torstensson, Johan & Torstensson, Rasha, 1995. "Growth Effects of European Integration," Working Paper Series 439, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Soloaga, Isidro & Alan Wintersb, L., 2001.
"Regionalism in the nineties: what effect on trade?,"
The North American Journal of Economics and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 1-29, March.
- Soloaga, Isidro & Winters, L. Alan, 1999. "Regionalism in the Nineties: What Effect on Trade?," CEPR Discussion Papers 2183, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Maurice Schiff & L. Alan Winters, 2003. "Regional Integration and Development," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 15172.
- Edward Christie, 2003. "Foreign Direct Investment in Southeast Europe," wiiw Working Papers 24, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Balasubramanyam, V N & Sapsford, David & Griffiths, David, 2002. "Regional Integration Agreements and Foreign Direct Investment: Theory and Preliminary Evidence," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 70(3), pages 460-82, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:36341. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.