Determinants of stock market performance in Nigeria: long-run analysis
This study examines critically the long-run macroeconomic determinants of stock market performance in Nigeria between 1984 and 2007. The properties of the time series variables are examined using the Augmented Dickey-Fuller (ADF) unit root test and most of the incorporated variables in the study was found to have a unit root at level. The Augmented Engle-Granger Cointegration test result revealed that the stock market performance in Nigeria is mainly determined by macroeconomic forces in the long-run. However, the empirical analysis showed that the NSE all share index is more responsive to changes in exchange rate, inflation rate, money supply, and real output. While, the entire incorporated macroeconomic variables were found to have simultaneous and significant impact on the Nigerian capital market performance in the long-run. The study recommended that investors should pay close attention to exchange rate, inflation, money supply, and economic growth rather than treasury bill rate in the long-run in their investment decision.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Publication status:||Published in Journal of Management and Organizational Behaviour 3.1(2010): pp. 1-16|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John Y. Campbell & Robert J. Shiller, 1988.
"Stock Prices, Earnings and Expected Dividends,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
858, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Campbell, J.Y. & Shiller, R.J., 1988. "Stock Prices, Earnings And Expected Dividends," Papers 334, Princeton, Department of Economics - Econometric Research Program.
- Campbell, John & Shiller, Robert, 1988. "Stock Prices, Earnings, and Expected Dividends," Scholarly Articles 3224293, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- John Y. Campbell & Robert J. Shiller, 1988. "Stock Prices, Earnings and Expected Dividends," NBER Working Papers 2511, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Adam, Anokye M. & Tweneboah, George, 2008.
"Do macroeconomic variables play any role in the stock market movement in Ghana?,"
9357, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2008.
- Adam, Anokye M. & Tweneboah, George, 2008. "Do macroeconomic variables play any role in the stock market movement in Ghana?," MPRA Paper 9301, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Andreas Humpe & Peter Macmillan, 2007. "Can macroeconomic variables explain long term stock market movements? A comparison of the US and Japan," CDMA Working Paper Series 200720, Centre for Dynamic Macroeconomic Analysis.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:35838. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.