The market for real estate brokerage services in low- and high-income neighborhoods: A 6 city study
We examine the market structure for real estate brokerage services across six large metropolitan areas, by collecting more than 300,000 real estate listings and computing the Herfindahl-Hirschman Index (HHI) for each neighborhood. When we divide neighborhoods based on income, house value, and race, we find no evidence of redlining; that is, the market structure for brokerage services is at least as competitive in less advantaged neighborhoods as it is in more advantaged ones.
|Date of creation:||2011/12/28|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Caitlin Knowles Myers & Grace Close & Laurice Fox & John William Meyer & Madeline Niemi, 2011.
"Retail Redlining: Are Gasoline Prices Higher In Poor And Minority Neighborhoods?,"
Western Economic Association International, vol. 49(3), pages 795-809, 07.
- Caitlin Knowles Myers & Grace Close & Laurice Fox & John William Meyer & Madeline Niemi, 2009. "Retail Redlining: Are gasoline prices higher in poor and minority neighborhoods?," Middlebury College Working Paper Series 0906, Middlebury College, Department of Economics.
- James A. Berkovec & Glenn B. Canner & Stuart A. Gabriel & Timothy H. Hannan, 1994.
"Race, redlining, and residential mortgage loan performance,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia, pages 263-298.
- Berkovec, James A & Canner, Glenn B. & Gabriel, Stuart A. & Hannan, Timothy H., 1994. "Race, Redlining, and Residential Mortgage Loan Performance," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 263-94, November.
- Alicia H. Munnell, 1992.
"Mortgage lending in Boston: interpreting HMDA data,"
92-7, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Munnell, Alicia H. & Geoffrey M. B. Tootell & Lynn E. Browne & James McEneaney, 1996. "Mortgage Lending in Boston: Interpreting HMDA Data," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(1), pages 25-53, March.
- Ethan Cohen-Cole, 2008. "Credit card redlining," Risk and Policy Analysis Unit Working Paper QAU08-1, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Beck, Jason & Scott, Frank & Yelowitz, Aaron, 2/15. "Competition and market structure in local real estate markets," MPRA Paper 27531, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Donald Haurin & Christopher Herbert & Stuart Rosenthal, 2007. "Homeownership Gaps Among Low-Income and Minority Households," Working Papers 07-02, Ohio State University, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:35608. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.