Ethnicity and degree attainment
In this paper, we investigate the low degree attainment of ethnic minority students in higher education in England. Using a partial proportional odds model and data from the Higher Education Statistics Agency for qualifiers who started their course of study in 2002/03, we find that even after controlling for the majority of factors which we would expect to have an impact on attainment, being from a minority ethnic community is still statistically significant in explaining final attainment, although the gap has been significantly reduced.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard Williams, 2006. "Generalized ordered logit/partial proportional odds models for ordinal dependent variables," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 6(1), pages 58-82, March.
- Battu, H. & Belfield, C. R. & Sloane, P. J., .
"Overeducation Among Graduates: A Cohort View,"
98-03, Department of Economics, University of Aberdeen.
- Massimiliano Bratti & Robin Naylor & Jeremy Smith, 2005.
"Variations in the Wage Returns to a First Degree: Evidence from the British Cohort Study 1970,"
UNIMI - Research Papers in Economics, Business, and Statistics
unimi-1005, Universitá degli Studi di Milano.
- Bratti, Massimiliano & Naylor, Robin & Smith, Jeremy, 2005. "Variations in the Wage Returns to a First Degree: Evidence from the British Cohort Study 1970," IZA Discussion Papers 1631, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Arulampalam, W. & Robin A. Naylor & Jeremy P. Smith, 2002. "University of Warwick," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2002 9, Royal Economic Society.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:35284. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.