In the quest of macroprudential policy tools
The global financial crisis of late 2008 could not have provided more convincing evidence that price stability is not a sufficient condition for financial stability. In order to attain both, central banks must develop macroprudential instruments in order to prevent the occurrence of systemic risk episodes. For this reason testing the effectiveness of different macroprudential tools and their interaction with monetary policy is crucial. In this paper we explore whether two policy instruments, namely, a capital adequacy ratio (CAR) rule in combination with a Taylor rule may provide a better macroeconomic outcome than a Taylor rule alone. We conduct our analysis by appending a macroeconometric financial block to an otherwise standard semistructural small open economy neokeynesian model for policy analysis estimated for the Mexican economy. Our results show that with the inclusion of the second policy instrument the central bank can obtain substantial gains. Moreover, we find that when the CAR rule is adequately designed the central authority can mitigate output gap shocks of twice the variance than the Taylor rule alone scenario. Thus, under this two rule case the central authority can isolate financial shocks and dampen their effects over macroeconomic variables.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Soderlind, Paul, 1999.
"Solution and estimation of RE macromodels with optimal policy,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 43(4-6), pages 813-823, April.
- Söderlind, Paul, 1998. "Solution and Estimation of RE Macromodels with Optimal Policy," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 256, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Richard Clarida & Jordi Galí & Mark Gertler, 1997.
"The science of monetary policy: A new Keynesian perspective,"
Economics Working Papers
356, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Apr 1999.
- Mark Gertler & Jordi Gali & Richard Clarida, 1999. "The Science of Monetary Policy: A New Keynesian Perspective," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 37(4), pages 1661-1707, December.
- Clarida, R. & Gali, J. & Gertler, M., 1999. "The Science of Monetary Policy: A New Keynesian Perspective," Working Papers 99-13, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Clarida, Richard & Galí, Jordi & Gertler, Mark, 1999. "The Science of Monetary Policy: A New Keynesian Perspective," CEPR Discussion Papers 2139, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Richard Clarida & Jordi Gali & Mark Gertler, 1999. "The Science of Monetary Policy: A New Keynesian Perspective," NBER Working Papers 7147, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David Aikman & Piergiorgio Alessandri & Bruno Eklund & Prasanna Gai & Sujit Kapadia, & Elizabeth Martin, & Nada Mora & Gabriel Sterne & Matthew Willison, 2011.
"Funding Liquidity Risk in a Quantitative Model of Systemic Stability,"
Central Banking, Analysis, and Economic Policies Book Series,
in: Rodrigo Alfaro (ed.), Financial Stability, Monetary Policy, and Central Banking, edition 1, volume 15, chapter 12, pages 371-410
Central Bank of Chile.
- David Aikman & Piergiorgio Alessandri & Bruno Eklund & Prasanna Gai & Sujit Kapadia & Elizabeth Martin & Nada Mora & Gabriel Sterne & Matthew Willison, 2009. "Funding Liquidity Risk in a Quantitative Model of Systemic Stability," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 555, Central Bank of Chile.
- Aikman, David & Alessandri, Piergiorgio & Eklund, Bruno & Gai, Prasanna & Kapadia, Sujit & Martin, Elizabeth & Mora, Nada & Sterne, Gabriel & Willison, Matthew, 2009. "Funding liquidity risk in a quantitative model of systemic stability," Bank of England working papers 372, Bank of England.
- Vasco Cúrdia & Michael Woodford, 2009. "Credit Spreads and Monetary Policy," Discussion Papers 0910-01, Columbia University, Department of Economics.
- Francisco Covas & Shigeru Fujita, 2009. "Time-varying capital requirements in a general equilibrium model of liquidity dependence," Working Papers 09-23, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- repec:nsr:niesrd:269 is not listed on IDEAS
- Césaire Meh & Kevin Moran, 2008.
"The Role of Bank Capital in the Propagation of Shocks,"
08-36, Bank of Canada.
- Meh, Césaire A. & Moran, Kevin, 2010. "The role of bank capital in the propagation of shocks," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 555-576, March.
- Gabriele Galati & Richhild Moessner, 2010.
"Macroprudential policy - a literature review,"
DNB Working Papers
267, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Claudio Borio & Piti Disyatat, 2010.
"Unconventional Monetary Policies: An Appraisal,"
University of Manchester, vol. 78(s1), pages 53-89, 09.
- Cúrdia, Vasco & Woodford, Michael, 2011.
"The central-bank balance sheet as an instrument of monetarypolicy,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 54-79, January.
- Vasco Curdia & Michael Woodford, 2010. "The Central-Bank Balance Sheet as an Instrument of Monetary Policy," NBER Working Papers 16208, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael Woodford & Vasco Curdia, 2010. "The Central Bank's Balance Sheet as an Instrument of Monetary Policy," 2010 Meeting Papers 136, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Vasco Cúrdia & Michael Woodford, 2010. "The central-bank balance sheet as an instrument of monetary policy," Staff Reports 463, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Frank Smets & Raf Wouters, 2002.
"An estimated dynamic stochastic general equilibrium model of the euro area,"
Working Paper Research
35, National Bank of Belgium.
- Frank Smets & Raf Wouters, 2003. "An Estimated Dynamic Stochastic General Equilibrium Model of the Euro Area," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 1(5), pages 1123-1175, 09.
- Erceg, Christopher J. & Henderson, Dale W. & Levin, Andrew T., 2000.
"Optimal monetary policy with staggered wage and price contracts,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 281-313, October.
- Ryo Kato & Takayuki Tsuruga, 2002. "Matlab code for a sticky wage/price model," QM&RBC Codes 114, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Andrew Levin & Christopher J. Erceg & Dale W. Henderson, 1999. "Optimal Monetary Policy with Staggered Wage and Price Contracts," Computing in Economics and Finance 1999 1151, Society for Computational Economics.
- Christopher J. Erceg & Dale W. Henderson & Andrew T. Levin, 1999. "Optimal monetary policy with staggered wage and price contracts," International Finance Discussion Papers 640, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to solve Erceg-Henderson-Levin model," Statistical Software Components RTZ00051, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Vasco Cúrdia & Michael Woodford, 2009.
"Credit Spreads and Monetary Policy,"
NBER Working Papers
15289, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Paolo Angelini & Stefano Neri & Fabio Panetta, 2011.
"Monetary and macroprudential policies,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
801, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Gertler, Mark & Karadi, Peter, 2011. "A model of unconventional monetary policy," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 17-34, January.
- Charles Goodhart, 2010. "The changing role of central banks," BIS Working Papers 326, Bank for International Settlements.
- International Monetary Fund, 2009. "Adding Latin America to the Global Projection Model," IMF Working Papers 09/85, International Monetary Fund.
- Gertler, Mark & Kiyotaki, Nobuhiro, 2010. "Financial Intermediation and Credit Policy in Business Cycle Analysis," Handbook of Monetary Economics, in: Benjamin M. Friedman & Michael Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Monetary Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 11, pages 547-599 Elsevier.
- Christiano, Lawrence & Ilut, Cosmin & Motto, Roberto & Rostagno, Massimo, 2011.
"Monetary Policy and Stock Market Booms,"
2011-005, Banco Central de Reserva del Perú.
- Lawrence Christiano & Cosmin Ilut & Roberto Motto & Massimo Rostagno, 2010. "Monetary policy and stock market booms," Proceedings - Economic Policy Symposium - Jackson Hole, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, pages 85-145.
- Lawrence Christiano & Cosmin L. Ilut & Roberto Motto & Massimo Rostagno, 2010. "Monetary Policy and Stock Market Booms," NBER Working Papers 16402, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cosmin L. Ilut & Lawrence J. Christiano & Roberto Motto & Massimo Rostagno, 2010. "Monetary Policy and Stock Market Booms," Working Papers 10-69, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Lawrence Christiano & Cosmin Ilut & Roberto Motto & Massimo Rostagno, 2010. "Monetary policy and stock market booms," CQER Working Paper 2010-08, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- José J. Sidaoui & Manuel Ramos-Francia, 2008. "The monetary transmission mechanism in Mexico: recent developments," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Transmission mechanisms for monetary policy in emerging market economies, volume 35, pages 363-394 Bank for International Settlements.
- Stephen G Cecchetti & Jacob Gyntelberg & Marc Hollanders, 2009. "Central counterparties for over-the-counter derivatives," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, September.
- Ali Dib, 2010. "Banks, Credit Market Frictions, and Business Cycles," Working Papers 10-24, Bank of Canada.
- Denis Beau & Christophe Cahn & Laurent Clerc & Benoît Mojon, 2013.
"Macro-Prudential Policy and the Conduct of Monetary Policy,"
Working Papers Central Bank of Chile
715, Central Bank of Chile.
- Beau, D. & Clerc, L. & Mojon, B., 2012. "Macro-Prudential Policy and the Conduct of Monetary Policy," Working papers 390, Banque de France.
- Beau, D. & Clerc, L. & Mojon, B., 2011. "Macro-prudential policy and the conduct of monetary policy," Occasional papers 8, Banque de France.
- Kenneth French & Martin Baily & John Campbell & John Cochrane & Douglas Diamond & Darrell Duffie & Anil Kashyap & Frederic Mishkin & Raghuram Rajan & David Scharfstein & Robert Shiller & Hyun Song Shi, 2010. "The Squam Lake Report: Fixing the Financial System," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 22(3), pages 8-21.
- Ignazio Angeloni & Ester Faia, 2009. "A Tale of Two Policies: Prudential Regulation and Monetary Policy with Fragile Banks," Kiel Working Papers 1569, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Wei Jiang & Kai Li & Pei Shao, 2010. "When Shareholders Are Creditors: Effects of the Simultaneous Holding of Equity and Debt by Non-commercial Banking Institutions," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 23(10), pages 3595-3637, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:30738. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.