The effect of microaggregation on regression results: an application to Spanish innovation data
Microaggregation is a technique for masking confidential data by aggregation. The aim of this paper is to analyze the extent to which microaggregated data can be used for rigorous empirical research. In doing this, I adopt an empirical perspective. I use data from the Technological Innovation Panel (PITEC) and compare regression results using both original and anonymized data. PITEC is a new firm-level panel data base for innovative activities of Spanish firms based on CIS data. I find that the microaggregation procedure used has a slight effect on the coefficient estimates and their estimated standard errors, especially when estimating linear models.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bruno Crepon & Emmanuel Duguet & Jacques Mairesse, 1998.
"Research, Innovation, and Productivity: An Econometric Analysis at the Firm Level,"
NBER Working Papers
6696, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bruno Crepon & Emmanuel Duguet & Jacques Mairesse, 1998. "Research, Innovation And Productivity: An Econometric Analysis At The Firm Level," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(2), pages 115-158.
- Bruno Crépon & Emmanuel Duguet & Jacques Mairesse, 1998. "Research, Innovation and Productivity : An Econometric Analysis at the Firm Level," Working Papers 98-33, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Hausman, J. A. & Abrevaya, Jason & Scott-Morton, F. M., 1998. "Misclassification of the dependent variable in a discrete-response setting," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 87(2), pages 239-269, September.
- Mairesse Jacques & Mohnen Pierre, 2001.
"To Be Or Not To Be Innovative: An Exercise In Measurement,"
038, Maastricht University, Maastricht Economic Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Jacques Mairesse & Pierre Mohnen, 2001. "To Be or Not To Be Innovative: An Exercise in Measurement," NBER Working Papers 8644, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:crs:wpaper:9833 is not listed on IDEAS
- Schmid, Matthias & Schneeweiss, Hans, 2009. "The effect of microaggregation by individual ranking on the estimation of moments," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 153(2), pages 174-182, December.
- Andrew B. Bernard & J. Bradford Jensen, 1997.
"Exceptional Exporter Performance: Cause, Effect, or Both?,"
NBER Working Papers
6272, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bernard, Andrew B. & Bradford Jensen, J., 1999. "Exceptional exporter performance: cause, effect, or both?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 1-25, February.
- Bernard, A., 1997. "Exceptional Exporter Performance: Cause, Effect, or Both?," Working papers 97-21, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Ronning, Gerd, 2005. "Randomized response and the binary probit model," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 86(2), pages 221-228, February.
- Crepon, B. & Duguet, E. & Mairesse, J., 1998. "Research Investment, Innovation and Productivity: An Econometric Analysis at the Firm Level," Papiers d'Economie MathÃ©matique et Applications 98.15, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Lopez, Alberto, 2008. "Determinants of R&D cooperation: Evidence from Spanish manufacturing firms," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 113-136, January.
- Schmid Matthias & Schneeweiss Hans, 2005. "The Effect of Microaggregation Procedures on the Estimation of Linear Models: A Simulation Study," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), De Gruyter, vol. 225(5), pages 529-543, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:30403. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.