Financing transport infrastrucure projects in Italy: a critical analysis of the main approaches
This paper aims at analysing the methodology used for financing large infrastructure projects in Italy. In particular, it focuses on the Italian highway sector, where in the last years many projects have been launched using new financial instruments. The paper discusses three of these “instruments”. The first one is the Project Financing, discussed starting from a general review, analyzing also the different typologies used, the risks involved and their allocation among the various subjects that take part in the PF mechanism. A special case concerns the recently introduced model used for the Italian highways, known as “PF with takeover compensation”. There are two other important mechanisms used for financing infrastructure projects in Italy: the exploitation of road demand rigidity and the spreading of the investment over the entire network, favouring larger concessions. We conclude that all these three mechanisms present deep flaws in terms of transparency and of contradiction with economic feasibility criteria (that have to dominate the public investment rationale).
|Date of creation:||Apr 2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- André Palma & Nathalie Picard & Laetitia Andrieu, 2012.
"Risk in Transport Investments,"
Networks and Spatial Economics,
Springer, vol. 12(2), pages 187-204, June.
- André de Palma & Nathalie Picard & Laetitia Andrieu, 2007. "Risk in Transport investments," THEMA Working Papers 2007-22, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- André De Palma & Nathalie Picard & Laetitia Andrieu, 2012. "Risk in Transport Investments," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00719698, HAL.
- Anna Matas & José-Luis Raymond, 2002. "The demand elasticity on tolled motorways," Working Papers wp0203, Department of Applied Economics at Universitat Autonoma of Barcelona.
- Beria Paolo & Ponti Marco, 2009. "Lo stato della regolazione dei trasporti in Italia," Economia dei Servizi, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 3, pages 465-484.
- Olivier Debande, 2002. "Private Financing of Transport Infrastructure: An Assessment of the UK Experience," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, University of Bath, vol. 36(3), pages 355-387, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:29140. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.