Is inflation targeting preferred by Filipinos?
Analysis of World Values Survey 2000 data for the Philippines finds that lower income Filipinos are more likely than the upper income ones to support inflation targeting. The same can be said of older, healthier, and employed Filipinos but not of the educated and financially satisfied ones. Given the profile of people who preferred inflation targeting, the shift from monetary targeting to inflation targeting is deemed a pro-poor policy shift. Further analyses find that, in 2000, at least 53.1% of Filipino households preferred inflation targeting; in other words, the preference of Filipino society in 2000 was in line with the preference of the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas for inflation targeting.
|Date of creation:||12 Aug 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert J. MacCulloch & Rafael Di Tella & Andrew J. Oswald, 2001.
"Preferences over Inflation and Unemployment: Evidence from Surveys of Happiness,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 91(1), pages 335-341, March.
- DiTella, Rafael & MacCulloch, Robert & Oswald, Andrew J., 2001. "Preferences over inflation and unemployment: Evidence from surveys of happiness," ZEI Working Papers B 03-2001, ZEI - Center for European Integration Studies, University of Bonn.
- Blanchflower, David G. & Oswald, Andrew J., 2001.
"Well-Being Over Time in Britain and the USA,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
616, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Kahneman, Daniel & Wakker, Peter P & Sarin, Rakesh, 1997. "Back to Bentham? Explorations of Experienced Utility," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 112(2), pages 375-405, May.
- Joseph Lim, 2008. "Central banking in the Philippines: from inflation targeting to financing development," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(2), pages 271-285.
- Beja, Edsel Jr., 2007. "Win or Lose, it’s the policy we choose: Comparative economic performance of the inflation targeters," MPRA Paper 4833, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 12 Sep 2007.
- Kahneman, Daniel & Thaler, Richard H, 1991. "Economic Analysis and the Psychology of Utility: Applications to Compensation Policy," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(2), pages 341-46, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:24382. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.