Corporate Social Responsibility and Corporate Financial Performance: Evidence from Korea
This paper studies the empirical relation between corporate social responsibility (CSR) and corporate financial performance in Korea using a sample of 1122 firm-years during 2002-2008. We measure corporate social responsibility by both an equal-weighted CSR index and a stakeholder-weighted CSR index suggested by Akpinar et al. (2008). Corporate financial performance is measured by ROE, ROA and Tobin’s Q. We find a positive and significant relation between corporate financial performance and the stakeholder-weighted CSR index, but not the equal-weighted CSR index. This finding is robust to alternative model specifications and several additional tests, providing evidence in support of instrumental stakeholder theory.
|Date of creation:||17 Apr 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Abagail McWilliams & Donald S. Siegel & Patrick M. Wright, 2006.
"Corporate Social Responsibility: Strategic Implications,"
Journal of Management Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(1), pages 1-18, 01.
- Abagail McWilliams & Donald S. Siegel & Patrick M. Wright, 2005. "Corporate Social Responsibility: Strategic Implications," Rensselaer Working Papers in Economics 0506, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Department of Economics.
- Luis Gomez - Mejia, 2008. "Strategic use of CSR as a signal for good management," Working Papers Economia wp08-25, Instituto de Empresa, Area of Economic Environment.
- Carhart, Mark M, 1997. " On Persistence in Mutual Fund Performance," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(1), pages 57-82, March.
- Roland Benabou & Jean Tirole, 2010.
"Individual and Corporate Social Responsibility,"
London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 77(305), pages 1-19, 01.
- Benabou, Roland & Tirole, Jean, 2009. "Individual and Corporate Social Responsibility," IZA Discussion Papers 4570, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bénabou, Roland & Tirole, Jean, 2009. "Individual and Corporate Social Responsibility," TSE Working Papers 09-109, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Jean Tirole & Roland Bénabou, 2010. "Individual and Corporate Social Responsibility," Working Papers 2010.23, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Kee H. Chung & Stephen W. Pruitt, 1994. "A Simple Approximation of Tobin's q," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 23(3), Fall.
- Ivo Welch & Siew Hong Teoh & Paul Wazzan, 1995.
"The Effect of Socially Activist Investment Policies on the Financial Markets: Evidence from the South African Boycott,"
_005, University of California at Los Angeles.
- Teoh, Siew Hong & Welch, Ivo & Wazzan, C Paul, 1999. "The Effect of Socially Activist Investment Policies on the Financial Markets: Evidence from the South African Boycott," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 72(1), pages 35-89, January.
- Siew Hong Teoh & Christopher Paul Wazzan & Ivo Welch, 1996. "The Effect Of Socially Activist Investment Policies On The Financial Markets: Evidence From The South African Boycott," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm70, Yale School of Management.
- Catherine J. Morrison-Paul & Donald S. Siegel, 2006.
"Corporate Social Responsibility and Economic Performance,"
Rensselaer Working Papers in Economics
0605, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Department of Economics.
- Catherine M. Paul & Donald Siegel, 2006. "Corporate social responsibility and economic performance," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 26(3), pages 207-211, December.
- Hyun-Han Shin & René M. Stulz, 1998. "Are Internal Capital Markets Efficient?," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 113(2), pages 531-552, May.
- Mark Bagnoli & Susan G. Watts, 2003. "Selling to Socially Responsible Consumers: Competition and The Private Provision of Public Goods," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(3), pages 419-445, 09.
- Baron, David P., 2001. "Private Politics," Research Papers 1689, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:22159. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.