Education Corruption, Reform, and Growth: Case of Post-Soviet Russia
This paper investigates a possible impact of education corruption on economic growth in Russia. It argues that high levels of education corruption may harm total factor productivity in the long run, primarily through lowering the level of human capital and slowing down the pace of its accumulation. Ethical standards learned in the process of training in universities can also affect the standards of practice in different professions. The growing level of productivity is not likely to reduce education corruption in the short run, but can eventually lead to implementation of higher ethical standards in the education sector.
|Date of creation:||21 Sep 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Osipian, Ararat, 2007.
"Corrupt Organizational Hierarchies in the Former Soviet Bloc,"
7591, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ararat Osipian, 2010. "Corrupt Organizational Hierarchies in the Former Soviet Bloc," Transition Studies Review, Springer, vol. 17(4), pages 822-836, December.
- Gorodnichenko, Yuriy & Peter, Klara Sabirianova, 2006.
"Public Sector Pay and Corruption: Measuring Bribery from Micro Data,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1987, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Gorodnichenko, Yuriy & Sabirianova Peter, Klara, 2007. "Public sector pay and corruption: Measuring bribery from micro data," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 91(5-6), pages 963-991, June.
- Gorodnichenko, Yuriy & Sabirianova Peter, Klara, 2006. "Public Sector Pay and Corruption: Measuring Bribery from Micro Data," CEPR Discussion Papers 5585, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521117562 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521725200 is not listed on IDEAS
- Osipian, Ararat, 2007. "Corruption in Russian Higher Education as Reflected in the Media," MPRA Paper 7594, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Georgy Petrov & Paul Temple, 2004. "Corruption in Higher Education: Some Findings from the States of the Former Soviet Union," Higher Education Management and Policy, OECD Publishing, vol. 16(1), pages 83-99.
- Jakob Svensson, 2005. "Eight Questions about Corruption," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 19(3), pages 19-42, Summer.
- Osipian, Ararat, 2008. "Economic Growth—Human Capital Nexus in Post-Soviet Ukraine, 1989-2009," MPRA Paper 7731, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521898010 is not listed on IDEAS
- Osipian, Ararat, 2008. "Corruption in Russia’s Doctoral Education," MPRA Paper 11138, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Osipian, Ararat, 2007. "“Feed from the Service”: Corruption and Coercion in the State—University Relations in Central Eurasia," MPRA Paper 10818, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:17447. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.