Balancing the Number and Size of Sites: An Economic Approach to the Optimal Design of Cluster Samples
The design of randomised controlled trials (RCTs) entails decisions that have economic, as well as statistical implications. In particular, the choice of an individual or cluster randomisation design may affect the cost of achieving the desired level of power, other things equal. Furthermore, if cluster randomisation is chosen, the researcher must decide how to balance the number of clusters, or "sites", and the size of each site. This paper investigates these interrelated statistical and economic issues. Its principal purpose is to elucidate the statistical and economic trade-offs to assist researchers to employ RCT designs that have desired economic, as well as statistical, properties.
|Date of creation:||2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aigner, Dennis J., 1979. "A brief introduction to the methodology of optimal experimental design," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 7-26, September.
- Aigner, Dennis J & Balestra, Pietro, 1988. "Optimal Experimental Design for Error Components Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(4), pages 955-71, July.
- Howes, Stephen & Lanjouw, Jean Olson, 1998. "Does Sample Design Matter for Poverty Rate Comparisons?," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 44(1), pages 99-109, March.
- Fiebig, Denzil G. & Bartels, Robert & Aigner, Dennis J., 1991. "A random coefficient approach to the estimation of residential end-use load profiles," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 297-327, December.
- Aigner, Dennis J., 1979. "Bayesian analysis of optimal sample size and a best decision rule for experiments in direct load control," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1-2), pages 209-221, January.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521296762 is not listed on IDEAS
- Aigner, Dennis J., 1979. "Sample design for electricity pricing experiments : Anticipated precision for a time-of-day pricing experiment," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 195-205, September.
- Morris, Carl, 1979. "A finite selection model for experimental design of the health insurance study," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 43-61, September.
- Conlisk, John, 1973. "Choice of Response Functional Form in Designing Subsidy Experiments," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 41(4), pages 643-56, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:14676. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.