Unit Roots in White Noise
We show that the empirical distribution of the roots of the vector auto-regression of order n fitted to T observations of a general stationary or non-stationary process, converges to the uniform distribution over the unit circle on the complex plane, when both T and n tend to infinity so that (ln T ) /n → 0 and n^3/T → 0. In particular, even if the process is a white noise, the roots of the estimated vector auto-regression will converge by absolute value to unity.
|Date of creation:||08 Mar 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Saikkonen, Pentti & Lütkepohl, HELMUT, 1996. "Infinite-Order Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Processes," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(05), pages 814-844, December.
- Bent Nielsen & Heino Bohn Nielsen, 2008.
"Properties of Estimated Characteristic Roots,"
08-13, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Bent Nielsen & Heino Bohn Nielsen, 2008. "Properties of etimated characteristic roots," Economics Papers 2008-W07, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Bent Nielsen & Heino Bohn Nielsen, 2008. "Properties of estimated characteristic roots," Economics Series Working Papers 2008-WO7, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Ulrich Mueller & Mark W. Watson, 2006.
"Testing Models of Low-Frequency Variability,"
NBER Working Papers
12671, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Clive W. J. Granger & Yongil Jeon, 2006. "Dynamics of Model Overfitting Measured in terms of Autoregressive Roots," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(3), pages 347-365, 05.
- Soren JOHANSEN, 2001.
"The Asymptotic Variance of the Estimated Roots in a Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Model,"
Economics Working Papers
ECO2001/01, European University Institute.
- Søren Johansen, 2003. "The asymptotic variance of the estimated roots in a cointegrated vector autoregressive model," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(6), pages 663-678, November.
- Lewis, Richard & Reinsel, Gregory C., 1985. "Prediction of multivariate time series by autoregressive model fitting," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 393-411, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:14057. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.