Asymptotics For Estimation Of Truncated Infinite-Dimensional Quantile Regressions
Many processes can be represented in a simple form as infinite-order linear series. In such cases, an approximate model is often derived as a truncation of the infinite-order process, for estimation on the finite sample. The literature contains a number of asymptotic distributional results for least squares estimation of such finite truncations, but for quantile estimation, only results for finite-order processes are available at a level of generality that accommodates time series processes. Here we establish consistency and asymptotic normality for conditional quantile estimation of truncations of such infinite-order linear models, with the truncation order increasing in sample size. The proofs use the generalized functions approach and allow for a wide range of time series models as well as other forms of regression model. As an example, many time series processes may be represented as an AR(?) or an MA(?); here we use a simulation to illustrate the degree of conformity of finite sample results with the asymptotics, in case of a truncated AR representation of a moving average.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (514) 398-3030
Fax: (514) 398-4938
Web page: http://www.repec.mcgill.ca
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Braun, Phillip A. & Mittnik, Stefan, 1993. "Misspecifications in vector autoregressions and their effects on impulse responses and variance decompositions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 59(3), pages 319-341, October.
- H. Lütkepohl & P. Saikkonen, 1995.
"Impulse Response Analysis in Infinite Order Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Processes,"
SFB 373 Discussion Papers
1995,11, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Lutkepohl, Helmut & Saikkonen, Pentti, 1997. "Impulse response analysis in infinite order cointegrated vector autoregressive processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 127-157, November.
- Phillips, Peter C.B., 1995.
"Robust Nonstationary Regression,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(05), pages 912-951, October.
- Knight, Keith, 1991. "Limit Theory for M-Estimates in an Integrated Infinite Variance," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(02), pages 200-212, June.
- Peter C.B. Phillips, 1990.
"A Shortcut to LAD Estimator Asymptotics,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
949, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Koenker, Roger W & Bassett, Gilbert, Jr, 1978. "Regression Quantiles," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 33-50, January.
- Lütkepohl, Helmut & POSKITT, D.S., 1996. "Testing for Causation Using Infinite Order Vector Autoregressive Processes," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(01), pages 61-87, March.
- repec:cup:etheor:v:11:y:1995:i:5:p:912-51 is not listed on IDEAS
- Sílvia Gonçalves & Lutz Kilian, 2003. "Asymptotic and Bootstrap Inference for AR( Infinite ) Processes with Conditional Heteroskedasticity," CIRANO Working Papers 2003s-28, CIRANO.
- Roger Koenker & Zhijie Xiao, 2004. "Unit Root Quantile Autoregression Inference," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 99, pages 775-787, January.
- Lewis, Richard & Reinsel, Gregory C., 1985. "Prediction of multivariate time series by autoregressive model fitting," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 393-411, June.
- Pollard, David, 1991. "Asymptotics for Least Absolute Deviation Regression Estimators," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(02), pages 186-199, June.
- Herce, Miguel A., 1996. "Asymptotic Theory of LAD Estimation in a Unit Root Process with Finite Variance Errors," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(01), pages 129-153, March.
- repec:cup:etheor:v:7:y:1991:i:4:p:450-63 is not listed on IDEAS
- Saikkonen, Pentti & Lütkepohl, HELMUT, 1996. "Infinite-Order Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Processes," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(05), pages 814-844, December.
- repec:cup:etheor:v:7:y:1991:i:2:p:186-99 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:cup:etheor:v:12:y:1996:i:1:p:61-87 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mcl:mclwop:2006-16. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shama Rangwala)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Shama Rangwala to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.