Unit Roots In White Noise
We show that the empirical distribution of the roots of the vector autoregression (VAR) of order p fitted to T observations of a general stationary or nonstationary process converges to the uniform distribution over the unit circle on the complex plane, when both T and p tend to infinity so that (ln T )/ p → 0 and p 3/ T → 0. In particular, even if the process is a white noise, nearly all roots of the estimated VAR will converge by absolute value to unity. For fixed p , we derive an asymptotic approximation to the expected empirical distribution of the estimated roots as T → ∞. The approximation is concentrated in a circular region in the complex plane for various data generating processes and sample sizes.
Volume (Year): 28 (2012)
Issue (Month): 03 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://journals.cambridge.org/jid_ECT
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Clive W. J. Granger & Yongil Jeon, 2006. "Dynamics of Model Overfitting Measured in terms of Autoregressive Roots," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(3), pages 347-365, 05.
- Ulrich Mueller & Mark W. Watson, 2006.
"Testing Models of Low-Frequency Variability,"
NBER Working Papers
12671, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bent Nielsen & Heino Bohn Nielsen, 2008.
"Properties of estimated characteristic roots,"
Economics Series Working Papers
2008-WO7, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Bent Nielsen & Heino Bohn Nielsen, 2008. "Properties of Estimated Characteristic Roots," Discussion Papers 08-13, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Bent Nielsen & Heino Bohn Nielsen, 2008. "Properties of etimated characteristic roots," Economics Papers 2008-W07, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Lewis, Richard & Reinsel, Gregory C., 1985. "Prediction of multivariate time series by autoregressive model fitting," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 393-411, June.
- Søren Johansen, 2003.
"The asymptotic variance of the estimated roots in a cointegrated vector autoregressive model,"
Journal of Time Series Analysis,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(6), pages 663-678, November.
- Soren JOHANSEN, 2001. "The Asymptotic Variance of the Estimated Roots in a Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Model," Economics Working Papers ECO2001/01, European University Institute.
- Saikkonen, Pentti & Lütkepohl, HELMUT, 1996. "Infinite-Order Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Processes," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(05), pages 814-844, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cup:etheor:v:28:y:2012:i:03:p:485-508_00. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Keith Waters)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.