External debt sustainability and domestic debt in Heavily Indebted Poor Countries
In this paper we stress the limits of the current debt sustainability framework used in the IMF-WB HIPC Initiative and the necessity to include domestic public debt into the analysis. The standard sustainability analysis does not take into account the fully-fledged budget constraint and the feedback effects of the fiscal and monetary adjustment required by multilateral programs. The switch from foreign to domestic borrowing, and rising domestic real interest rates are likely to undermine the overall sustainability and the success of debt relief programs. This work focuses on the evaluation of public debt sustainability in a simple accounting framework. We use data on external public debt (multilateral and bilateral) and on domestic public debt to underline how the inclusion of domestic debt into the analysis undermines the sustainability target.
|Date of creation:||May 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- William Easterly, 2002. "The Elusive Quest for Growth: Economists' Adventures and Misadventures in the Tropics," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262550423, December.
- Jakob E Christensen, 2004. "Domestic Debt Markets in Sub-Saharan Africa," IMF Working Papers 04/46, International Monetary Fund.
- Cuddington, John T., 1997.
"Analyzing the sustainability of fiscal deficitsin developing countries,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1784, The World Bank.
- John T. Cuddington, 1997. "Analysing the Sustainability of Fiscal Deficits in Developing Countries," International Finance 9706001, EconWPA.
- Aart Kraay & Vikram Nehru, 2006.
"When Is External Debt Sustainable?,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 20(3), pages 341-365.
- World Bank & International Monetory Fund, 2001. "Developing Government Bond Markets : A Handbook," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 13865.
- George Iden & Marco Arnone, 2003. "Primary Dealers in Government Securities; Policy Issues and Selected Countries Experience," IMF Working Papers 03/45, International Monetary Fund.
- Craig Burrnside, 2005. "Fiscal Sustainability in Theory and Practice : A Handbook," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 7495.
- Philippe Beaugrand & Montfort Mlachila & Boileau Loko, 2002. "The Choice Between External and Domestic Debt in Financing Budget Deficits; The Case of Central and West African Countries," IMF Working Papers 02/79, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:1396. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.