External Debt Sustainability and Domestic Debt in Heavily Indebted Poor Countries
In this paper we broaden the standard debt sustainability framework used in the IMF-WB Heavily Indebted Poor Countries (HIPC) Initiative to include the analysis of domestic public debt and other feedback effects into the usual debt sustainability analysis (DSA). The latter does not take into account the fully-fledged government budget constraint and the feedback effects of the fiscal and monetary adjustment required by multilateral programs. This work focuses on the evaluation of total public debt sustainability in a simple accounting framework that includes exchange rate effects. We use new data on domestic public debt and show how the switch from foreign to domestic borrowing, and rising domestic real interest rates are likely to undermine the overall sustainability and the success of debt relief programs.
Volume (Year): 115 (2007)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- World Bank & International Monetory Fund, 2001. "Developing Government Bond Markets : A Handbook," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 13865.
- Cuddington, John T., 1997.
"Analyzing the sustainability of fiscal deficitsin developing countries,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1784, The World Bank.
- John T. Cuddington, 1997. "Analysing the Sustainability of Fiscal Deficits in Developing Countries," International Finance 9706001, EconWPA.
- William Easterly, 2002. "The Elusive Quest for Growth: Economists' Adventures and Misadventures in the Tropics," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262550423, June.
- Jakob Christensen, 2004. "Domestic Debt Markets in Sub-Saharan Africa," IMF Working Papers 04/46, International Monetary Fund.
- George Iden & Marco Arnone, 2003. "Primary Dealers in Government Securities; Policy Issues and Selected Countries Experience," IMF Working Papers 03/45, International Monetary Fund.
- Aart Kraay & Vikram Nehru, 2006.
"When Is External Debt Sustainable?,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 20(3), pages 341-365.
- Philippe Beaugrand & Montfort Mlachila & Boileau Loko, 2002. "The Choice Between External and Domestic Debt in Financing Budget Deficits; The Case of Central and West African Countries," IMF Working Papers 02/79, International Monetary Fund.
- Craig Burrnside, 2005. "Fiscal Sustainability in Theory and Practice : A Handbook," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 7495.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:vep:journl:y:2007:v:115:i:2:p:187-213. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vep - Vita e Pensiero)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.