Bias in foreign equity portfolios: households versus professional investors
Non professional investors display a much higher degree of home bias than fiancial investors suggesting that they might be more severely a¤ected by information asymmetry issues. In particular, non professional investors, having less easily access to information on foreign firm-specific characteristics than institutional investors, will rely more heavily on country-specific factors. We test this conjecture restricting the analysis to foreign equity portfolios of four European investing countries -France, Italy, Spain and Sweden. We find, indeed, that households� portfolios are more strongly in�uenced by proximity variables, transparency of the destination stock market and, even more interestingly, by common-listing in the Euronext platform.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Larry G. Epstein & JianJun Miao, 2001.
"A Two-Person Dynamic Equilibrium under Ambiguity,"
RCER Working Papers
478, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Sorensen, Bent E. & Wu, Yi-Tsung & Yosha, Oved & Zhu, Yu, 2007.
"Home bias and international risk sharing: Twin puzzles separated at birth,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 587-605, June.
- Sørensen, Bent E & Wu, Yi-Tsung & Yosha, Oved & Zhu, Yu, 2005. "Home Bias and International Risk Sharing: Twin Puzzles Separated at Birth," CEPR Discussion Papers 5113, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ahearne, Alan G. & Griever, William L. & Warnock, Francis E., 2004.
"Information costs and home bias: an analysis of US holdings of foreign equities,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 313-336, March.
- Alan G. Ahearne & William L. Griever & Francis E. Warnock, 2000. "Information costs and home bias: an analysis of U.S. holdings of foreign equities," International Finance Discussion Papers 691, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Sergei Sarkissian, 2004. "The Overseas Listing Decision: New Evidence of Proximity Preference," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 17(3), pages 769-809.
- Baxter, Marianne & Jermann, Urban J, 1997.
"The International Diversification Puzzle Is Worse Than You Think,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 87(1), pages 170-80, March.
- Baxter, M. & Jermann, U.J., 1993. "The International Diversification Puzzle is Worse than you Think," RCER Working Papers 350, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Marianne Baxter & Urban J. Jermann, 1995. "The International Diversification Puzzle is Worse Than You Think," NBER Working Papers 5019, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrew K. Rose & Mark M. Spiegel, 2002.
"A gravity model of sovereign lending: trade, default and credit,"
Working Paper Series
2002-09, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Andrew K. Rose & Mark M. Spiegel, 2004. "A Gravity Model of Sovereign Lending: Trade, Default, and Credit," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 51(s1), pages 50-63, June.
- Andrew K. Rose & Mark M. Spiegel, 2002. "A Gravity Model of Sovereign Lending: Trade, Default and Credit," NBER Working Papers 9285, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Guiso, Luigi & Jappelli, Tullio, 2005.
"Awareness and stock market participation,"
CFS Working Paper Series
2005/29, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Luigi Guiso & Tullio Jappelli, 2003. "Awareness and Stock Market Participation," CSEF Working Papers 110, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy, revised 01 Jun 2004.
- Guiso, Luigi & Jappelli, Tullio, 2004. "Awareness and Stock Market Participation," CEPR Discussion Papers 4182, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Paul A. Gompers & Andrew Metrick, .
"Institutional Investors and Equity Prices,"
Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers
20-99, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Gelos, Gaston & Wei, Shang-Jin, 2004.
"Transparency and International Portfolio Holdings,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4476, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Richard Portes & Helene Rey, 2000.
"The determinants of cross-border equity flows,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
20203, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Richard Portes & Hélène Rey, 2001. "The Determinants of Cross-Border Equity Flows," DELTA Working Papers 2001-08, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Richard Portes & Helene Rey, 1999. "The Determinants of Cross-Border Equity Flows," NBER Working Papers 7336, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Portes, Richard & Rey, Hélène, 1999. "The Determinants of Cross-Border Equity Flows," CEPR Discussion Papers 2225, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- R Portes & H Rey, 2000. "The Determinants Of Cross-Border Equity Flows," CEP Discussion Papers dp0446, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Amihud, Yakov, 2002. "Illiquidity and stock returns: cross-section and time-series effects," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 31-56, January.
- Stulz, Rene M, 1981. "On the Effects of Barriers to International Investment," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 36(4), pages 923-34, September.
- John Y. Campbell, 2006.
NBER Working Papers
12149, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael J. Brennan. and H. Henry Cao., 1997.
"International Portfolio Investment Flows,"
Research Program in Finance Working Papers
RPF-271, University of California at Berkeley.
- Portes, Richard & Rey, Helene & Oh, Yonghyup, 2001. "Information and capital flows: The determinants of transactions in financial assets," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(4-6), pages 783-796, May.
- Shujing Li & Hamid Faruqee & Isabel K. Yan, 2004. "The Determinants of International Portfolio Holdings and Home Bias," IMF Working Papers 04/34, International Monetary Fund.
- Kang, Jun-Koo & Stulz, Rene M., 1997.
"Why is there a home bias? An analysis of foreign portfolio equity ownership in Japan,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 3-28, October.
- Jun-Koo Kang & Rene M. Stulz, 1995. "Why Is There a Home Bias? An Analysis of Foreign Portfolio Equity Ownership in Japan," NBER Working Papers 5166, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Black, Fischer, 1974. "International capital market equilibrium with investment barriers," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(4), pages 337-352, December.
- Mark Grinblatt, 2001. "How Distance, Language, and Culture Influence Stockholdings and Trades," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(3), pages 1053-1073, 06.
- Ross Levine, 1997.
"Financial Development and Economic Growth: Views and Agenda,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 35(2), pages 688-726, June.
- Levine, Ross, 1996. "Financial development and economic growth : views and agenda," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1678, The World Bank.
- Barbara Berkel, 2004. "Institutional Determinants of International Equity Portfolios - A Country-Level Analysis," MEA discussion paper series 04061, Munich Center for the Economics of Aging (MEA) at the Max Planck Institute for Social Law and Social Policy.
- Huberman, Gur, 2001. "Familiarity Breeds Investment," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 14(3), pages 659-80.
- Bortolotti, Bernardo & de Jong, Frank & Nicodano, Giovanna & Schindele, Ibolya, 2004.
"Privatization and Stock Market Liquidity,"
SIFR Research Report Series
23, Institute for Financial Research.
- Norman Strong & Xinzhong Xu, 2003. "Understanding the Equity Home Bias: Evidence from Survey Data," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 85(2), pages 307-312, May.
- Kalok Chan & Vicentiu Covrig & Lilian Ng, 2005. "What Determines the Domestic Bias and Foreign Bias? Evidence from Mutual Fund Equity Allocations Worldwide," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 60(3), pages 1495-1534, 06.
- Francis E. Warnock & Hali J. Edison, 2001. "A Simple Measure of the Intensity of Capital Controls," IMF Working Papers 01/180, International Monetary Fund.
- Haliassos, Michael & Bertaut, Carol C, 1995. "Why Do So Few Hold Stocks?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 105(432), pages 1110-29, September.
- Karen K. Lewis, 1999. "Trying to Explain Home Bias in Equities and Consumption," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 37(2), pages 571-608, June.
- Dahlquist, Magnus & Robertsson, Goran, 2001. "Direct foreign ownership, institutional investors, and firm characteristics," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(3), pages 413-440, March.
- Gehrig, Thomas, 1993. " An Information Based Explanation of the Domestic Bias in International Equity Investment," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 95(1), pages 97-109.
- Li, Kai, 2004. "Confidence in the Familiar: An International Perspective," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 39(01), pages 47-68, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:13929. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.