The cost of building and operating a new high speed rail line
What is the total cost of building, maintaining and operating a new high speed rail (HSR) line? Trying to answer this question is the main objective of this paper. To address it we will make an extensive use a database containing information about 166 actual HSR projects in 20 countries is analysed in detail. This database provides a rough guide about the typical cost structure of any HSR project and suggests tentative estimates for some representative unit values of those costs. This information, together with some additional values gathered from other sources allow us to perform a simple simulation exercise capable not only of providing an answer to the initial question, but also of offering insights on the relevance of some elements in determining the total costs of a HSR line.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- José A. Gómez-Ibáñez & Ginés de Rus (ed.), 2006. "Competition in the Railway Industry," Books, Edward Elgar, number 4213.
- Steven T. Berry, 1994. "Estimating Discrete-Choice Models of Product Differentiation," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 25(2), pages 242-262, Summer.
- David Levinson & Jean-Michel Mathieu & Adib Kanafani & David Gillen, 1997.
"The Full Cost of High-Speed Rail: An Engineering Approach,"
199705, University of Minnesota: Nexus Research Group.
- David Gillen & David Levinson & Jean Michel Mathieu & Adib Kanafani, 1997. "The full cost of high-speed rail: an engineering approach," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 31(2), pages 189-215.
- C.A. Nash, 1991. "The case for high speed rail," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 15(2), pages 337-354, May.
- Kingsley E. Haynes, 1997. "Labor markets and regional transportation improvements: the case of high-speed trains An introduction and review," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 31(1), pages 57-76.
- Vickerman, R W, 1995. "The Regional Impacts of Trans-European Networks," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 29(2), pages 237-54, May.
- K. E. Haynes & C. Karlsson & U. Blum, 1997. "Introduction to the special issue The regional and urban effects of high-speed trains," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 31(1), pages 1-20.
- Andrew W. Evans, 2003. "Accidental fatalities in transport," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 166(2), pages 253-260.
- Juan Martín & Gustavo Nombela, 2007. "Microeconomic impacts of investments in high speed trains in Spain," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 41(3), pages 715-733, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:12396. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.