Linking Reputations: The Signaling and Feedback Effects of Umbrella Branding
This paper develops a theory of umbrella branding as a way to link the reputations of otherwise unrelated products. I show that while umbrella branding can credibly signal positive quality correlation, there are no equilibria in which umbrella branding either fully reveals high quality, or signals negative quality correlation. Finally, whenever umbrella branding signals perfect positive quality correlation, firms that already produce high quality products have stronger incentives to invest in developing further high quality products than firms that are currently inactive or produce low quality products.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Birger Wernerfelt, 1988. "Umbrella Branding as a Signal of New Product Quality: An Example of Signalling by Posting a Bond," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 19(3), pages 458-466, Autumn.
- Cho, In-Koo & Kreps, David M, 1987.
"Signaling Games and Stable Equilibria,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 102(2), pages 179-221, May.
- B. Douglas Bernheim & Michael D. Whinston, 1990. "Multimarket Contact and Collusive Behavior," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 21(1), pages 1-26, Spring.
- Choi, Jay Pil, 1998.
"Brand Extension as Informational Leverage,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 65(4), pages 655-69, October.
- Lynne M. Pepall, 2002.
"The Simple Economics of Brand Stretching,"
The Journal of Business,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 75(3), pages 535-552, July.
- Lynne Pepall & Dan Richards, 1999. "The Simple Economics of "Brand-Stretching"," Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University 9905, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
- Sullivan, Mary, 1990. "Measuring Image Spillovers in Umbrella-Branded Products," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 63(3), pages 309-29, July.
- Hakenes, Hendrik & Peitz, Martin, 2006.
"Umbrella Branding and the Provision of Quality,"
Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems
132, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- Hakenes, Hendrik & Peitz, Martin, 2004. "Umbrella Branding and the Provision of Quality," Sonderforschungsbereich 504 Publications 04-51, Sonderforschungsbereich 504, Universität Mannheim;Sonderforschungsbereich 504, University of Mannheim.
- Hendrik Hakenes & Martin Peitz, 2004. "Umbrella Branding and the Provision of Quality," CESifo Working Paper Series 1373, CESifo Group Munich.
- Grossman, Gene M & Shapiro, Carl, 1988.
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 78(1), pages 59-75, March.
- Andersson, Fredrik, 2002. "Pooling reputations," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 715-730, May.
- Steve Tadelis, 1997.
"What's in a Name? Reputation as a Tradeable Asset,"
97033, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- Mailath, George J. & Samuelson, Larry, 2006. "Repeated Games and Reputations: Long-Run Relationships," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195300796.
- Cabral, L.M.B., 2000.
"Stretching Firm and Brand Reputation,"
New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires
00-07, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Kreps, David M. & Wilson, Robert, 1982.
"Reputation and imperfect information,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 253-279, August.
- Shapiro, Carl, 1983. "Premiums for High Quality Products as Returns to Reputations," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 98(4), pages 659-79, November.
- Klein, Benjamin & Leffler, Keith B, 1981. "The Role of Market Forces in Assuring Contractual Performance," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 89(4), pages 615-41, August.
- Cabral, Luís M.B., 2009. "Umbrella branding with imperfect observability and moral hazard," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 206-213, March.
- Sappington, David E M & Wernerfelt, Birger, 1985. "To Brand or Not to Brand? A Theoretical and Empirical Question," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 58(3), pages 279-93, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:11045. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.