Umbrella Branding and External Certification
In a market environment with random detection of product quality, a firm can employ umbrella branding as a strategy to convince consumers of the high quality of its products. Alternatively, a firm can rely on external certification of the quality of one or both of its products. We characterize equilibria in which umbrella branding fully or partially substitutes for external certification. We also show that the potential to signal quality is improved if consumers condition their beliefs on the source of information, namely whether information comes from external certification or from random detection.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Luis Cabral, 2000.
"Stretching Firm and Brand Reputation,"
00-07, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Cabral, L.M.B., 2000. "Stretching Firm and Brand Reputation," New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires 00-07, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Thomas L. Sporleder & Peter D. Goldsmith, 2001. "Alternative Firm Strategies for Signaling Quality in the Food System," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 49(4), pages 591-604, December.
- repec:oup:qjecon:v:102:y:1987:i:2:p:179-221 is not listed on IDEAS
- Cabral, L.M.B., 2001.
"Optimal Brand Umbrella Size,"
New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires
01-06, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Hakenes, Hendrik & Peitz, Martin, 2006.
"Umbrella Branding and the Provision of Quality,"
Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems
132, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- Hakenes, Hendrik & Peitz, Martin, 2004. "Umbrella Branding and the Provision of Quality," Sonderforschungsbereich 504 Publications 04-51, Sonderforschungsbereich 504, Universität Mannheim;Sonderforschungsbereich 504, University of Mannheim.
- Hendrik Hakenes & Martin Peitz, 2004. "Umbrella Branding and the Provision of Quality," CESifo Working Paper Series 1373, CESifo Group Munich.
- Hongbin Cai & Ichiro Obara, 2006.
"Firm Reputation and Horizontanl Integration,"
321307000000000285, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Cai, Hongbin, 2004. "Firm Reputation and Horizontal Integration," Santa Cruz Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt6rk9f1fm, Department of Economics, UC Santa Cruz.
- Hongbin Cai & Ichiro Obara, 2008. "Firm Reputation and Horizontal Integration," Levine's Working Paper Archive 122247000000002038, David K. Levine.
- repec:oup:restud:v:65:y:1998:i:4:p:655-69 is not listed on IDEAS
- Birger Wernerfelt, 1988. "Umbrella Branding as a Signal of New Product Quality: An Example of Signalling by Posting a Bond," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 19(3), pages 458-466, Autumn.
- Andersson, Fredrik, 2002. "Pooling reputations," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 715-730, May.
- Steven Tadelis, 1999.
"What's in a Name? Reputation as a Tradeable Asset,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 548-563, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:6601. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.