Optimal Brand Umbrella Size
In a framework or repeate -purchase experience goo s with seller's moral hazar , umbrella branding may improve the terms of the "implicit contract" between firm an consumers, whereby the ¯firm invests in quality an consumers p ay a high price. The reason is that the costs from cheating consumers are greater under umbrella branding (loss of reputation in all products), which implies that the high- uality equilibrium is more stable. The reverse side of this coin is that, if reputation breaks own in one pro uct (which is a istinct possibility in a worl with imperfect observability), then the ba news travel faster un er umbrella branding.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||2001|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: U.S.A.; New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics . 44 West 4th Street. New York, New York 10012-1126|
Phone: (212) 998-0100
Web page: http://w4.stern.nyu.edu/finance/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jean Tirole, 1988. "The Theory of Industrial Organization," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262200716, January.
- Sappington, David E M & Wernerfelt, Birger, 1985. "To Brand or Not to Brand? A Theoretical and Empirical Question," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 58(3), pages 279-293, July.
- Sullivan, Mary, 1990. "Measuring Image Spillovers in Umbrella-Branded Products," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 63(3), pages 309-329, July.
- Hongbin Cai & Ichiro Obara, 2009.
"Firm reputation and horizontal integration,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
RAND Corporation, vol. 40(2), pages 340-363.
- Cai, Hongbin, 2004. "Firm Reputation and Horizontal Integration," Santa Cruz Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt6rk9f1fm, Department of Economics, UC Santa Cruz.
- Hongbin Cai & Ichiro Obara, 2006. "Firm Reputation and Horizontanl Integration," Levine's Bibliography 321307000000000285, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Hongbin Cai & Ichiro Obara, 2008. "Firm Reputation and Horizontal Integration," Levine's Working Paper Archive 122247000000002038, David K. Levine.
- Hakenes, Hendrik & Peitz, Martin, 2008.
"Umbrella branding and the provision of quality,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 546-556, March.
- Hakenes, Hendrik & Peitz, Martin, 2004. "Umbrella Branding and the Provision of Quality," Sonderforschungsbereich 504 Publications 04-51, Sonderforschungsbereich 504, Universität Mannheim;Sonderforschungsbereich 504, University of Mannheim.
- Hakenes, Hendrik & Peitz, Martin, 2004. "Umbrella branding and the provision of quality," Papers 04-51, Sonderforschungsbreich 504.
- Hendrik Hakenes & Martin Peitz, 2004. "Umbrella Branding and the Provision of Quality," CESifo Working Paper Series 1373, CESifo Group Munich.
- Hakenes, Hendrik & Peitz, Martin, 2006. "Umbrella Branding and the Provision of Quality," Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems 132, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- Porter, Robert H., 1983. "Optimal cartel trigger price strategies," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 313-338, April.
- Choi, Chong Ju & Scarpa, Carlo, 1992. "Credible spatial preemption through reputation extension," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 439-447, September.